New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem Model 30/1917 Enfield Barrel Size
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am contemplating barreling one of these for .30-40 and have access to a blank measuring 1.158". I believe the major dia. on the thread is 1.125"? My question is this: what is the minimum dia. blank which can be used on this (Rem 30) receiver?
The plan is to use a P-14 bolt to accomodate the rimmed case. Does anyone know of a reason this won't w?ork? I could look for a P-14 receiver but the Remington already has the desired look as well as being drilled and tapped for a scope base.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don... I'll have to look up the barrel specs, but as far as I know the P14 and M1917 (Rem 30) bolts are not interchangeable. There were two versions of the P14 in which the left locking lug differed.The M1917 locking lug is slightly different from either of the two P-14s. All three versions (& the Rem 30) of the bolt were cock-on-close; the Remington model 30 Express was cock-on-open. There was also a difference in striker dimensions between the P14 and the US guns.

Bud W.

PS... might have a die set for the 30/40 if you need same.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don... an addenda. The Rem 30 barrel was 1.325" at the shoulder with a shank length of .800". The major/minor diameters were 1.125"/1.085" and had a square thread of 10 tpi.(It was a coned breech; you'll need a flat breech). These dimensions are all the same for the M1917, Rem 30, 30-S, 720 and, I assume, the P-14 and Rem 1934.

In addition to the bolt differences I mentioned, the extractor, bolt face and spring also differed.

Bud W

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys;
The info you havve posted is why I posed the question(s) here. In trying to research this I had not uncovered all the issues yu gents have mentioned. I don't have the receiver at hand and cannot verify which version of the 30 it is. The bolt from a P-14 action and a 1917 bolt I have appear to be identical, but if they are, form what you gents say, they may not fit the recesses in the receiver. I thought it was a good idea but it loks like I better pass on it until I can get a complete P-14 action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't done a lot of M17's but as I remember the P14 bolt will fit the M17 however, you cannot use the P14 bolt with the original M17 barrel. If you rebarrel it should work.

But I have to ask, why? The .30-06 is great as-is or, get a P14 and use the .303 British, another fine round. The .30-40 ought to be used in a Krag or Winchester 1895 IMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thing came to me as a barreled receiver, the barrel being ruined. So I am not cutting up something usable. I don't believe any cartridge is exclusive to any particular rifle except where a given cartridge just won't fit anywhere else. Why the .30-40 rather than .303? Because they are "equals" in performance and generally in dimension and are both rimmed. Where I see them as not equal is the commonality of .308" barrels, bullets, etc. Also the Enfield is almost immeasurably stronger than the Krag. this project is not about hotrodding the round but rather using an action where I don't have to be concerned about metal fatigue in one locking lug.
Having said all that, The receiver is remington, obviously, and the P-14 bolt I have is marked with an "E" which I assume to mean Eddystone, which should be identical to a Remington bolt. Comparing the bolt to a 1917 bolt, the right lug appears to be the same. Ditto for the left except for the front of the lug where the P-14 piece is radiused and the M1917 is angled. If the Receiver and bolt are both of Rem. manufacture, and bolt internals and trigger assy. are of the same manufacture as the bolt, and... the barrel is fitted up with proper breeching for the P-14 bolt, will it not work?
My understanding is that the different types of P-14/M1917s had to do with whether they were made by Winchester or Remington/Eddystone with only Winchester making different "versions" due to having made a run of M1917s prior to government-mandated standardization. If my understanding of the issue is incorrect, I am open to correction.
That was rather long-winded but I wanted to cover the bases to make sure I understand why my idea will or won't work. I am in a position to be able to barter with a very capable 'smith to do such a project over a period of time. Otherwise I wouldn't mess with it.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well, it will be a small thin barrel, and using a p14 bolt will work just fine, for someone to gunsmith this up for you. get a p14 sheetmetal mag, and avoid a couple feeding issues.

sounds like a neatish project

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39671 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote