THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone had work done by UPS Custom Rifles?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7248444&aa= Browning (FN) 300 win mauser customized by UPS NO RESERVE

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
No doubt the world's fastest takedown conversion. Eeker

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sure have, but not quite the same, no takedown model. But on a Minty S+Larsen. The barrel was sticking about 12" out the end of the box on a return shipment and it had been dropped on the concrete. The gunshop owner was a great guy, took pictures and refused shipment. I heard that UPS would not stand behind the insurance.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UPS custom did my computer! It involved backing the truck over the tower...

Posts: 86 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 17 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I had a similar conversion to takedown on a FN Mauser with factory French Walnut stock with fiddleback...

They couldn't understand that a repaired stock is worth less than an un-repaired one...

I was told that long thin packages get stuck on the conveyor belt and other packages back up behind them until something gives...

Damn shame too.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
I had a rifle broken in transit by Fed-Ex once. The hard case look undamaged for the most part. The package had been dropped from some distance (how much I don't know) and landed on its butt end. The impact snapped the gun at the wrist just like this one. UPS,Fed-Ex, DHL it doesn't matter, I think they can all handle your packages like the gorillas in the old Samsonite ads.

UPS = Universal Package Smashers

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe they were just checking to see if it really was pillar bedded.

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
and the guy is offers UPS shipping AGAIN

slow learner?
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a matter of fact, I bought a rifle from Jeffe a little while back.

UPS Custom Guns managed to split the stock at the end of the forend, and actually found a way to snap the trigger shoe in half! Try that sometime... Shame too, as it was a Canjar set trigger, now useless.

We got it all worked out (with NO help from UPS by the way), so it's all OK in the end. But DAMN, can they smash some stuff up.

Remember that fool that jumped into a UPS thread a while back, saying that it was OUR responsibility to prepare our packages for a 20 FOOT DROP?!? Claimed it was "normal" treatment of boxes while in transit. He claimed to be management or something there, and basically called us all ungrateful, misinformed, crybaby losers for actually being UPSET with UPS for mangling our stuff and then having UPS deny any insurance claims, even if extra insurance had been paid for!

UPS for me? No thanks....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger #1 sitting on the floor right now that UPS broke the stock off at the tang. It was a beautiful piece of early walnut. been two months now and no word on an insurance payoff. I will not ship an anvil with them anymore.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a truck driver for fed X freight, (a new division not small packages. I se lots of stuff broken i recomend you insure a fine rifle like that...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
UPS customized an already custom Win 101 for me once....paid the insurance without even looking at the shotgun...the driver told me (after I expressed anger at the tread marks on the box, "Big Brown isn't afraid of you!"...no $hit! Maybe we should start a guns only shipping company.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UPS couldn't have picked a better color for their company. The big "Brown". The color of a turd! Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
i recomend you insure a fine rifle like that

The insurance doesn't mean much if they won't honor it. Been there with FedX.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best one I had done by UPS was a Smith and Wesson pistol. Smith had an active role in this too.I had sent it back for minor repair. I had shipped it in the plastic box inside of a cardboard box. Well I come home one day and found a blue plastic smith and wesson box open on the back porch. Amazingly the pistol was still in it considering the nieghborhood I live in. So smith shipped it just in the plastic box and UPS just leaves it for the whole world to see. It got even better. Smith shipped the pistol before it was fixed. This was obvious by the fact that all the screws that hold the side plate on where nowhere to be found.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I work in the packaging business. There is no way that anything should have to be packed to survive a 20 foot drop. UPS has very specific parameters for testing that allows shippers to claim that their products pass the "UPS drop tests" and that helps with insurance claims. The drop tests take place at 3 feet, not 20. I use my old CMP boxes with the egg crate foam and have never had a problem.

Fast Ed

Measure your manhood not by success, but by significance.

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote