New
Find
Notify
Tools

Siamese Mauser 405 Win Possible?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
One of my pet projects is a matched pair of the Siamese 98 Mausers in 25 Krag (definite) and a larger bore ctg. I know all about the 45-70 ones etc but want to do something different. My thoughts are the 405 Win. Brass, dies, bullets are all readily available right now; so stocking up would give me a lifetime supply. My worry is that the cartridge is too long for the action. Readin DeHaas's review, he stated that the mag well was 3.0 in length and that the 303 and 7.62x54 would just fit (both between 3.0 and 3.1 inches in length). The OAL for the 405 is listed as 3.18 in the one reference I found. I don't have a 405 to try in the Siam I have and wonder if anyone has done this and was anything extra involved. I realize that I can get away with seating the bullet to a shorter OAL, but if I have to do that, I figure a 40 Krag would do the same since that used to be the cure for 405 brass before it was rediscovered. All .02 cents and input appreciated.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you are willing to consider other "non-standard" cartridges, there are a lot you can choose from which won't require magazine mods to make them function reliably, and still be fun and easy to load for....

One would be the old Brit .375 x 2-1/2" Rimmed (.375 Rimmed Express). Will fit perfectly, and you could make a version using brass of either .30-40 Krag or .303 Brit heritage. Either brass could also be necked up to take the .40 diameter bullet of your choice (.401", .406", .410", OR .412" nominally). All are good killers up to 200 yards for NA game, of moderate intensity and therefore easy to shoot, too. And either would be a real conversation-starter at the range.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have seen one in 450 alaskan, so the 50 or 416 alaskan, 348 win. should also work

Posts: 980 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Good suggestion! The .348 or .450 Alasakan, or a .410 Alaskan will work just great through that action...and the .348 or .410 will be easy to assure flawless feeding with, too.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in .375/348 Ackley Imp. Basically a .375 H&H in a shorter package. It would probably be easier to make feed if you had a little more body taper.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I will buy a box of 405s and see if they will feed from my action. If not, then decide on a 30-40 or 348 based wildcat. The 375 x 2-1/2 also sound interesting, thanks for that idea Alberta Canuck. I just thought it would be "neat" to have the 405 in this action if it would feed. If it feeds I'll let you know.

Thaine

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Let us know how it goes. I am thinking of doing this on a nagant!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max(hm2):
i have seen one in 450 alaskan, so the 50 or 416 alaskan, 348 win. should also work

I saw one that used .348 Win. cases necked down to 8mm, which used the original 8mm bore.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
I have a Siamese in .450 Alaskan also. It wears a 16 1/2" barrel with a Thompson flash hider/ front sight. I stopped working up loads because the stock cracked and that old military stock dishes out recoil in copious amounts. The 450 round feeds up through the magazine nicely, but the feed rails need work on my rifle. It certainly has the potential to be a thumper, being a bolt action one can shoot higher pressures than the old levers will take.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 597 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Yes sir,

Please do keep us posted on how the 405 works out for you. I have a nice Siamese triggerguard I plan to mate up to a Siamese or Yugo receiver one of these days to build a 405 myself.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robgunbuilder was the first I heard about the .405 Win conversion idea from. I have several Siamese actions - two with Wisner PME M70 3-pos safeties on them as well. I have a set of 450 and 50 Alaskan dies as those were my desires...THEN. As gun projects go I got sidetracked. But then Rob metioned that .405W...Then the components became available. The .50 Alaskan brass is available from Starline too. So I've started thinking about building one of these up again. I may be convinced to part with the other Smiler

A friend has one with a Ruger .45 cal takeoff barrel on it in .45-70 and it feed "slick as <your choice here>" Smiler
IIRC Rob had mentioned that the bolt stop needed to be ground so the bolt would come back farther. Maybe do a search on his posts???

I have an old P14 Enfield that was converted to .25 Krag - all I have of it is the receiver & bolt however.

Jeff P

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well everything has been tried at least once, have a .450 Alaskan Danish Krag built by no other than Johnson's Kenai Rifles, stamped with the JKR monogram, have not dared to shoot it. Has a bright blonde maple stock, so if you get lost in the woods in Alaska they can spot you from the search plane. But might make the hunt difficult, will scare off the game. Even has purple heart wood inlays, quite a sight to make eyes sore.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Thaine,
I think you`ll find Mr. DeHaas was a little generous with the mag measurements. I recently did one in 25 Ack Krag and it functioned fine but the OAL was limited to about 2.900. This was ok with the owner as he was only going to use 100 gr bullets anyway. The 405 is one I am thinking about doing for myself some time soon[?] With the case being 3.070 and all it`ll still give me about .490 of bullet sticking out of the case. I have the action, brass, dies and all I need is a barrel and stock! Heck! If it doesnt work out I do still have an old HighWall to use. Seems like it would make a nice rifle for about anything.

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a Siamese Mauser but this gunmaker makes 405 Winchester bolt actions on the Lee Enfield action Philip Ollendorff

Just look under Gallerie.

Good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, thanks to everyone for the info, I tried a 405 round in a Siam that was at my dealers and it was a no go in origional form, I have an action on it's way so once I have it in hand I will see how much metal I can remove fore and aft. If there isn't enough, then it will become a 40 Krag with a bore diameter that will allow me to use the readily available supply of cast bullets forthe 40-65 Winchester.

Thaine

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mehulk, that is a very good looking Lee Enfield.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vigillinus,

His guns are beautiful and he has a link to an engraver on his site who makes them look even better.

As a former British colonial, I love Enfields. Wish I could afford to buy one of these someday.

Best wishes and good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote