Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 to 35 Rebore
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I'm planning to rebore one of my 1917 Enfields in 30-06 to a 35 Whelen.

What else needs to be done besides checking headspace and rechambering?

Can I rechamber with a hand reamer?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 35 Whelen uses the same headspace as the 30-06. You would just need to cut the throat I guess. If you used a Whelen reamer for that you would have to be very careful that you did not inadvertently increase headspace.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you have who ever is reboring it complete the job and chamber and throat it? It is what I done with all of my rebores and I have included a dummy round loaded with the bullet I was going to use so throated accordingly.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why don't you have who ever is reboring it complete the job and chamber and throat it? It is what I done with all of my rebores and I have included a dummy round loaded with the bullet I was going to use so throated accordingly

+1 tu2 Except if it were mine I'd rebarrel ans start new.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I confirmed that I can get it rebored and the throat/neck setup all for the same guy. So im good.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
its 200 bucks for a rebore, and 200 bucks for ITD gunsmithing to get you a new douglas barrel, turned to your profile/old barrel

the douglas barrel has a gaurunty...(sp -- i NEVEr spell that word correctly)

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
gaurunty

Guarantee Big Grin Don't mind me I had to spell check it. rotflmo I've gotten a number of barrels from ITD and have always been happy with the service.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
$200 for a Douglas barrel? I just bought six and they each were quite a bit more than that; am I getting ripped off?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you are getting ripped off.
http://www.itdcustomgun.com/id3.html

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
its 200 bucks for a rebore, and 200 bucks for ITD gunsmithing to get you a new douglas barrel, turned to your profile/old barrel

the douglas barrel has a gaurunty...(sp -- i NEVEr spell that word correctly)

Is that a fitted, chambered and blued price on that Douglas?

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is that a fitted, chambered and blued price on that Douglas?

Sorry they have raised their price a little. $ in a hunting weight barrel, chambered, installed and test fired is more like $243. Bluing depending on polish $80 +

For that price there is NO action work.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
you are getting ripped off.
http://www.itdcustomgun.com/id3.html

I didn't see anything about the larger barrel shanks enfields need. I assume those are the prices for standard blanks. Do you know their upcharge for larger than 1.25 blanks?
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't see anything about the larger barrel shanks enfields need. I assume those are the prices for standard blanks. Do you know their upcharge for larger than 1.25 blanks?

Simplest thing is to contact Dave at
ITDCustomgun@yahoo.com

He can quickly answer all your questions. I've always found him to be very helpful.

Does Douglas even make a blank larger than 1.25"?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
The rebore plus the throat and neck work and return shipping is a total of $225. And that also saves me the cost of a bluing and installing new sights on the barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
[QUOTE]

Does Douglas even make a blank larger than 1.25"?

I didn't think so, that why I was asking about Douglas barrels on a 1917.
Don

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't think so, that why I was asking about Douglas barrels on a 1917.
Don

Don I know just above squat about the Enfield. I show the thread with an od of 1.125". I also show the std barrel as 1.325" od. Question is does it need to be that big? I know it would to match a old stock. But if you were starting from scratch could you simply not go with a 1.25" bewildered

Help this old fart learn something new for today.

Looks like Austin has decided a rebore works best for him. If a 1.25" will not work on an Enfield then I won't mention ITD next time. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told by more than a few smiths that you need a barrel larger than the 1.20-1.25 standard for a contoured blank. There is no internal shoulder and the thread tenon on an enfield is 1.125. Doesn't leave much surface for bearing on the receiver. The recomended barrel shanks for enfields has always been 1.325 to the best of my knowledge. Douglas lists their barrels with a 1.20 shank contours 1-6 and 1.225 for 7-9.
Am I missing something? I don't see anything bigger in there charts.
Don

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Don

Thanks for the response. As to the max dia only thing I saw with 1.25" was this.

BENCHRESTER
1-1/4" STRAIGHT CYLINDER ROUGH OR FINISHED TURN
9-11 LBS

Since I have next to no first had experience with the Enfield I will take your word for it that you need more than .1-.125" shoulder.

So no more ITD for Enfield. rotflmo

On second thought I've got to talk to Dave about another barrel so I'll ask about the Enfield and post what he says.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Pac-Nor will set you up with just about any barrel OD you want...and McGowen had barrels that size and larger at one time. Check with them.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Don

Thanks for the response. As to the max dia only thing I saw with 1.25" was this.

BENCHRESTER
1-1/4" STRAIGHT CYLINDER ROUGH OR FINISHED TURN
9-11 LBS

Since I have next to no first had experience with the Enfield I will take your word for it that you need more than .1-.125" shoulder.

So no more ITD for Enfield. rotflmo

On second thought I've got to talk to Dave about another barrel so I'll ask about the Enfield and post what he says.

Let me know what he says. Last time I used McGowen
Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
235$ for the rebore/chamber sounds like a pretty good deal if you are going to have to have extra work done to get a new barrel on there. 235$ vs what, closer to 500$ all said and done? Yea, I'd get the rebore myself.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me know what he says. Last time I used McGowen

Dave at ITD says they do Enfields using the 1.25" Douglas barrel with no issue. They will NOT sell a threaded chambered barrel for the Enfield. They will only sell them installed and test fired.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, thanks. I'd like to hear some of the custom gunmakers around here opinion.
Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just had a M700 BDL rebored from 30-06 to 9.3x62 by JES in Oregon. Two week turn-around. I considered the ITD rebarrel route, but I'm not enamored with Douglas barrels and the idea of having to spend another $200 or so for sights (NECG) and finishing was also not appealing.

Initial indications are that my rebore has produced a solid MOA shooter, which was all I was after.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Barrels:
Just had a M700 BDL rebored from 30-06 to 9.3x62 by JES in Oregon. Two week turn-around. I considered the ITD rebarrel route, but I'm not enamored with Douglas barrels and the idea of having to spend another $200 or so for sights (NECG) and finishing was also not appealing.

Initial indications are that my rebore has produced a solid MOA shooter, which was all I was after.

Got contact information for JES?

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
http://www.35caliber.com/

That's who I am planning to use as well.