Find
Notify
Tools

Blanks--Pick your favorite
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Take a look at the below blanks and pick your favorite of the bunch. I am curious because I have a definite style I like and it tends to be so different from other peoples.

So which one of these would it be?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Maybe that first English blank if the one side would show more when cut, I'd like to see more pics first. The third to last blank, Bastogne?might be my pick if I had to choose soley from these pics.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The only two that would interest me is the second one (probably Dressels) and I really don't like the way the grain turns up at the forend.
May be the one with the BR-13 wrtten on it too.

One thing I would caution you about is the Goby walnut blanks will not have nearly as much red as they show in the pictures.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Not to sound negative, but I just cant get excited by any of those. I think you could do much better, even in the price range of the stocks shown.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Finally found yourself a figured piece of cherry, huh? Smiler

Not bad, not bad...

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The one marked BK/BR 13 is the only one I like.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
BR 13 is my favorite, maybe even move the tracing further towards the butt.
Dave

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
My preferences in order are numbers 25, 44 & maybe 947, assuming both sides equal, no bark/knots I can't see.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
BR13 is fair... and my "choice"

3 and 44 would make pretty rifles, but could be better.

the rest... well, everyone likes something different, i guess

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
BR13 - I have had it in my hands. Good blank. Only reason I didnt turn it into a stock is the customer decided to upgrade.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
My preferrence was 947, 13, but 44 and 152 were high on my buddy's list. Why are these good or bad? Any help. You guys know a hell of a lot more about it than he and I.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
# 3 for grain lay out but its nothing to write home about.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I take it a stock like the below one is not as desireable since the crotch is only on one side, or is there a structural problem with one of these. I often see them cheaper than others.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the last one is the worst one... you can't tell what it actually DOES unless you have a top and bottom edge shot.. and, well, it'll look like crap once turned... if one is inlove with that one, it's a "send it to serengeti" for lamination time.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
152-straight in the forend, all curly in the butt. That last one looks like it would warp side to side in the forend-hate flatsawed blanks for stability.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
#3 among the brown-red walnuts, mainly for grain layout.

The only one of the bunch I'd use for myself, at the moment, is the unlabeled straight-grained gray & tan sort of "English"-like blank about 2/3 of the way through the choices...again because of grain layout and the fact that I like straight-grained English on rifles for actual use.

But, as Jeffeosso says, unless I could see the tops and bottoms of the blanks, I wouldn't buy any of them at even a fraction of those prices. Most of them don't have sufficiently good grain layout for me to even consider putting my time into.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
The first one, where the grain follows the profile of the stock. Straight grain in the fore end and it bends correktly in the grip section. Less risk of warping because of stringht grain fore-end, less risk of breaking in the grip area.

Fritz

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
947 for me....I'd probably send any of to Serengeti though...

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
947 for me....I'd probably send any of to Serengeti though...

Yeh, I think that's the one a couple of us have mentioned because of the grain....the one with the #3 tag on it.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
It seems that you all either like 947, 3, or BK13.

The rifle this will be on is a working rifle that will see pleanty of rough terrain and travel. I personally like the 947, but I am no expert on grain flow. my friend is less decisive than my wife, but he wants a blank in the 175-200 dollar range, and these were options found on the Internet.

Any last comments on the three above mentioned blanks?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can do better than that for $500. I just went through a stock buying exercise and saw blanks for $450-500 that had fiddle all the way through and layed out much better.

To me thats 1/2 of a nice stock.

I will help some in your looking try here:

http://wattswalnut.com/

these guys have some nice stuff:

http://www.denli-gunstocks.com/

Edit: I though I would include a couple of blanks that are good in my oinion ( yes I know these two are pricey ) but these are good blanks in my eye:

The saecond is a tad cheaper.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Those are just a little rich for me, and I really do not like the looks of them! Sorry.

I have feelers out for wood at three location now for the walnut. What are your guys favorite merchants?

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Here is one I have for $90 shipped. You can PM me if you like it.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
ElCaballero---

Problem is that I am looking for a ifferent looking stock than that. I have an odd idea of good wood and it is different than this, although this is problably very nice wood.

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
My taste goes to the 2nd one down

from the photo it looks good.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote