New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Lott conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need advice on a 458 Lott conversion. My local smith has reamed out my interarms mark x 458 win mag. The gun has been restocked and cerecote. It looks amazing and is very accurate. The problem is the ejection, which requires a very strong cycling or sometimes the casing does not fully eject. On the range at the bench I can eject every time. However,shooting offhand there are times when I short stroke it and the casing hangs. Maybe it is my short arms. However, can I fix this? Is there another action I can buy that which has a more agressive ejection system that will fit the stock? It looks like the interarms depends on an ejection blade vs a spring or other method.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you taken it back to your "local gunsmith" and discussed the issue with him?

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
The ejector stop is what tosses the case on mausers --

short stroking will always result is failure to eject

you have to learn to briskly operate the bolt, as it's the exact same length from the 8x57 from 117 years ago ..

but, i'll just cut to the chase - your extractor likely needs work, if you are fully operating the bolt and it doesn't eject -- mind you, a slow cycle wan't toss the cases,, but it should kick them out of the action

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
What make rifle is it?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OP says "Interarms Mark X"

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, check how much ejector protrudes from the bolt face when the bolt is all the way back. The bolt stop housing "cover" is the ejector spring; it should push the ejector out. Look for dirt in the bolt slot or burrs.
There is no better system so don't look for one. It is probably the fact that it is a new made Mauser. I bet if you replace the ejector box and blade with a military one, it would work. It is actually hard to make these NOT work. Bring it over and I can tell you what is wrong in about 5 seconds but I have to actually see it. Or at least smell it.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I'll take these ideas to him.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You should learn how Mausers work (they are ultra simple) so your "smith" can't give you a load of BS on it. He should not have passed it in the first place so I would be leery of his ability. Sorry, it"s just that I have seen too many "gunsmiths" who aren't.
Not that I am one either.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you could continue to use .458 Win cartridges, knowing that if ever you can't find them the longer ones will at least fit the chamber.

I'm surprised the smith did the conversion. The usual candidate for that job is the CZ (Brno), which has such a long magazine it feeds a Lott better Smiler

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It takes the same stroke to eject a 458 as it does a Lott, on a CRF action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
It takes the same stroke to eject a 458 as it does a Lott, on a CRF action.

If you were shooting my wildcat rounds it would be as dpcd said. You have to use the same stroke.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I like the double angle/triple radius shoulder; that is to promote more efficient powder burn and increase velocity, right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did you figure out my design? dancing

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
How did you figure out my design? dancing

I dunno Butch.

I think the evil monster that lives in your kitchen and hides your corn squeezins left you locked in the garage too long again! Or maybe it's to much time on the U-ride-um lawn mower in the hot, Texas sun! LOL

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're probably right Rod.