New
Find
Notify
Tools

bead blasting equip.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
prepping the metals on a receiver or barrel etc... would be a good thing to have something like a bead blaster and polish up to 400 grit.

Where can I get one without spending a major fortune and cost. I can invision making a cabinet but need some help here, any pointers, tips?

I don't mind spending money here an there for a fine gunsmith but I would like a hand at it myself.Would be something for sure.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harbor freight has all kinds of sandblasting stuff. I bought one of their gravity feed guns for small jobs and it works like a champ.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i made mine from a cast off chest freezer, and a 40# blasting pot ... and lot of tinkering

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and a 40# blasting pot

can you expand on that jeffe? the tinkering I can do as well-jack of all trades and a "master" of nothing, thats me. thumb

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I bought mine off Ebay for $170 shipped. It was a PITA to assemble but it works just fine.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TP Tools is the place for abrasive blasting tools and supplies. www.tptools.com/ They sell complete cabinets or parts and instructions for building your own.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another media to consider is Baking Soda . Produces a finer abrasion than shot or bead .As for equipment others have pretty well covered it . For real fine detail work ,I mean FINE . I use my Air Brush compressor and a home made jury rig . Kind of resembles a Gravity feed paint gun set up . Tygon hose custom ceramic nozzles .

Have a friend of mine who uses a vertical tumbler for lack of a better description . Strange set up , cylinder is about 4 ft. long X 16" in Dia. . It has air going into it real low pressure . He uses silicone or neoprene taper plugs Jambs them Literally into the bore or where he doesn't want anything in .

Uses cut pieces of some type of plastic polish media along with 400 - 600 - 800 1500 sand paper cut into small pieces for media .

It does a DAM nice finish For polished high luster Bluing jobs . I was impressed and that's not normal !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I paid $99 for a plastic cabinet 24 x 18 x 18 with gun, light, gloves and vacumn port at Wholesale Tool. I had to cut a 3" hole in the side for barrel work but some PVC electrical conduit fittings and rag around the action seals it fine. Turn on the shop vac and let'r rip. I also bought an el-cheapo air brush regulator from Hobby Looby so I could work with different delivery pressures for different effects. I buy the finest grit beads Wholesale sells and get long life from them. I have also heard that Boric acid gives a very fine finish like Dr.K describes with baking soda.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So will Talc !. But man it's got to be DRY as with Baking Soda Boric Acid also . A real DRY source of air or better is Nitrogen is utmost !.

... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Of course, with boric acid you can blast in the kitchen and keep the roaches down at the same time!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
griz
here ya go
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34202

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
been out of commission for a spell, motherboard fried out, heat chip sink fell off. New dell tower up and running.

thanks fellas,

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I've been fortunate to not have many tools stolen, but unfortunately my sandblast cabinet was one of them, go figure.

Since I don't use it all the time, I did like tiggertate and used a plastic cabinet. I then put flanges on both sides of the cabinet that I could run barrels through. When not using it for a barrel (90% of the time) I just had threaded plugs in the holes. I had a piece of PVC pipe that I'd screw in the hole, and would rubber-band a cotton sock over the end of that.

A while after that disappeared, I had to blast a barreled action with 120 grit AL Oxide. I have a hopper-type sandblaster that holds maybe 5 gallons of sand. I cleaned that out meticulously and dumped my quart of AL Ox grit in there, put the action in, and taped a garbage bag securely over the mouth. I cut a fist sizes hole in the top to put my hand in and blasted it that way. It worked really well and I didn't lose hardly any grit either. Just another option.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
P.S. Glad you're back up and running!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote