New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need welding recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Dutch Mannlicher receiver with a shallow pipe wrench (.005 to .010 deep X .750 long) mark on each side of the receiver ring. The marks consist of a single line over just the threaded area and not near the locking shoulder. I need some one that can TIG the 2 marks with a spotting technique to avoid over heating the receiver or warping it. I can dress down the welds.
This is an otherwise nice old action that will make a nice rifle if I can get the receiver fixed.
I need the name of an ace TIG welder that understands how to minimize the heat since this is a cosmetic repair.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
All of the local smiths that I know of as well as my father and I have used Clackamas Tool Welding to do detail welding. They are very good at air craft quality welding using TIG. Matt Noreen is the president of the company. Their # is 503-655-9535 They are in Clackamas Oregon.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't just need an "ace tool welder". As Trez suggests, you need a tool welder or precision welder, who does TIG repairs under high magnification. You should be able to find one in the Yellow Pages of most large cities. Failing that, go talk to an injection moulding outfit and ask them who they use to repair their dies. Make sure that you specify the use of mild steel filler rod, else you might end up with stainless steel! You're on the wrong side of the border, else I would direct you to a man in Toronto who is among the very best.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Ron,
I understand what you are talking about, I just didn't specify that he does micro welding, he does. He has filled pits, added length to tangs, bolt knobs, surface finish work as in this case, filled drill/tap holes, etc... He knows guns and knows how to work on them correctly.

There is likely someone in your area also, I just know that this guy is good. Doesn't have voids, has very minimal heating of the areas around the weld, he is just good.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I am looking for one of the gunsmiths that posts here that is a good welder. I have seen some of their work. I am not sure they would want to work on such a relic.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trez, I've re-punctuated my post. I see that it did not read as I had intended it to. Never meant for an instant to imply that the man that you use is not one of the best. Rather, I was trying to indicate that there may be a large difference in abilities between "an ace welder" and a tool or precision welder.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
I am not easily offended. Without body language and tone of voice, comments are easily misunderstood and I always try to give people the benifit of the doubt that they are trying to be helpful. I was just saying that he could do it, not trying defending him.

There is sure to be someone on here that can help SR4759 take care of this.

The real question will be if they can do it for someone else at a price that makes it worth doing. I'd think it could be done fairly quickly but I'm not a welder and don't know what kind of set-up time this would require.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
I have a Dutch Mannlicher receiver with a shallow pipe wrench (.005 to .010 deep X .750 long) mark on each side of the receiver ring. The marks consist of a single line over just the threaded area and not near the locking shoulder. I need some one that can TIG the 2 marks with a spotting technique to avoid over heating the receiver or warping it. I can dress down the welds.
This is an otherwise nice old action that will make a nice rifle if I can get the receiver fixed.
I need the name of an ace TIG welder that understands how to minimize the heat since this is a cosmetic repair.

PM sent.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan Armstrong, Accu Tig welders of Fairbanks Ak.

One week turn around.

He has a web site.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
my recommendation?
Don't weld a front receiver without a full heat treat

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote