New
Find
Notify
Tools

finishing a laminated stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just recieved a laminated stock from ELK ridge, it is for a rem 788 redone to a 25-284 cal.
Does anyone have any experience in finishing a laminated stock? I have done walnut stocks before, would you put the same type finsh on a laminated stock?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bluemule
fnish this, more oe less, exactly as you would walunut. I do recommend a modified tungoil like minmax or even pro gustom gun oil, sometimes sold as gun savr.

j

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did one last year. a couple coats of poly spar, cut with 400 grit to the wood, just to fill things in, then I used Birchwood casey tru oil stock finish. Looked pretty nice. Then some wax for a topcoat.

Posts: 180 | Location: lakewood, co | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I use Teak oil and it does a good job and is simple to apply.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you didn't state what colors your laminate is. be aware most oil bases finishes will add some amber color to the finished product.

Posts: 979 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max(hm2):
you didn't state what colors your laminate is. be aware most oil bases finishes will add some amber color to the finished product.

And, trust me on this, a mix of marine spar varnish, Deft Marine Teak oil and paint thinner will turn a gray laminate to a sickly shade of green.

If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote