New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting a synthetic stock.
 Login/Join

<leo>
posted
I have a ruger m77 MKII with the ugly boat paddle black synthetic stock. I have noticed it bleaching out in places where I have wiped it down with a damp cloth. Can this particular stock be successfully painted so as to give it a uniform shade of black or whatever color I decide on? What paint would work? Thanks.

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Endura seems to be the paint of choice for syn stocks, but some of those factory syn stocks use a peculiar material so you should check with your painter and see what he thinks; Endura is a two part epoxy-type paint and one should be very careful when using it as it is very toxic, but it really sticks!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Those Ruger stocks are a type of plastic not glass. Paint really does not want to stick to them. You'll get better results if you sand blast the stock first to help the paint or epoxy adhere better.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<fishnfool>
posted
leo,

I used an aeresol spray can wrinkle finish from Brownell's to do a synthetic shotgun stock. It appears real nice from several ft. away but the finish is rough to the touch and the cheek, and the strong smell hasn't gone away yet. (3 months later)

I would leave it alone if I had to do it over again, or replace it with the newer more attractive factory version. The re-sale value drops when altered in this way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Resale? What is that? You people actually sell your guns? They are my babies, I could never do that.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Thanks guys.

<Hutt>
posted
I have used a product called chip-guard found at most automotive paint supply stores. It is designed for rocker panels on cars and trucks.It is applied by raining it on the surface with about three coats to completly cover the surface.This stuff is made to resist rock chips.It is a semi-ruf surface that dries fairly fast,and touch-up is easy because it blends back in perfectly.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I would contact an automotive finishing supplyhouse and ask them if they had any type of stain or dye that they might recommend. If it is just discolored I would look into that route first, now if there are dings in it you want to take out that is a different matter.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used automotive trunk paint and primer which works well. The sandblasting idea sounds like a good one, just be sure you clean the stock very well before you paint. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote