New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Finnbear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Having lead a sheltered life, and not ever seeing one, what can you tell me about this rifle. Sako Finnbear serial no. 1097xx. Is it CRF? What are the pros and cons. Why would you buy one and what should I look for in a used one. Mark

[This message has been edited by mark65x55 (edited 01-15-2002).]

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I have three Finnbears (one just arrived today ). They are fine rifles, well made, with nice wood and (usually) plenty of accuracy.

They are not CRF, but their extractor contributes to reliability.

As to what to look for, check the crown for burrs, the bore for fouling or rust, check the barrel for bulging, the throat for erosion, the stock (especially under the floorplate) for cracks, and the forearm for pressure against the barrel.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<frogman>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Having lead a sheltered life, and not ever seeing one, what can you tell me about this rifle. Sako Finnbear serial no. 1097xx. Is it CRF? What are the pros and cons. Why would you buy one and what should I look for in a used one. Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark (edited 01-15-2002).]

Hi Mark
I have had Finnbear in 7 MM Mag.for 25 year's it is a little scared up but still shoot's great.Very well made.Has only been glass bedded.It will still shoot at a inch at 100 yards.Not a bench gun,but hunter.Little heavy.
Grab it!.

------------------
frogman

<JOHAN>
posted
Finnbear is really nice rifle

If any of you have the one with an extra locking lug under the bolt handle it's a really old and rare one.DON'T sell it. Finnbears are very well made and nicely machined. I had a few custom rifles built on this action.

/JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark: With the serial number range of your gun, I don't think it would be a pre-1972 with a third locking lug (vis-a-vis '98 Mauser), however, it is still a fine rifle. (Note: In the shorter actions, their serial numbers DO extend into the 100,000 range in pre-72's, and they never had a third lug.)

If it is post-72, your barrel and stock will be slightly heavier contour than the older Sako Finnbears, and the blue may not be polished quite as much.

I have both pre-72's and post-72's and both perform very, very well.

Your magazine capacity will be 5 in standard or 4 in magnum caliber (one more than most bolt actions), and your trigger is adjustable and usually will be crisp and without creep.

I have never had any of two dozen or so Sakos fail to feed or extract.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote