Find
Notify
Tools

Classic "English" Stock Profile
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Well, my barreled action [MRC1999 RH short 6.5X55] is still with Jim Dubell getting slicked up, square bridges,new bolt handle, express sights, bolt release, and reshaping.

In the mean time I have too much time on my hands to contemplate the stock profile. The gun will be used with both open and scoped sights. I like the classic English express/stalking rifle type stock.

Here are some I have collected [stole] from posts on the Internet. I love the work these guys have done, but I did not save names. What additional pictures/ideas can you offer?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifles number 4,5,7,10 from above are very nice.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I always liked Craig Boddington's 7x57. (#3 & 10)

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
#3 is from the Purdy webpage not Craig's rifle, but #10 is his.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Your right my mistake. I only looked at the big on on 10.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what action is the purdy based on?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Number 7 is the best rifle.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
#3,10 and #12 with their light fore end. thumb
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The last one is the only "classic" shown, with the third from last similar with a straighter stock, maybe a good compromise for scope use.

Never understood the need for those giant forends in many of those pics.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19320 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
#5 is the Westley Richards Standard grade.

In stead of a dropped stock, I hope you will opt for higher open sights.

Here are some more, by Duane Viebe:

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I would second that I like Boddington's rifle, the one Todd Ramirez put together.

I also LOVE the Westley Richards (#5).

Also, Bill Soverns in doing a stock for me right now in the Westley Richards pattern (with a few minor tweaks).

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I dunno, I'm kind of partial to #8 Roll Eyes

Only thing is it's German, not English

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3, 5, 10, and 12 are the only "English Classic" stocks shown. Most of the rest aren't even close.
-------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
IMHO, the part that is often overlooked when building an "English" looking stock, is the bottom line of the stock from the trigger guard forward.

This is a good example below, as the bottom metal is at the "correct" angle to allow the forend to taper up quickly and terminate into a small forend.

If the bottom metal doesn't have this much angle, then you end up with a stock that has a "tall" forend.

Look at this line compared to the one below it with two different angles and I think you'll see what I mean.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
top looks to be std box, bottom looks to be drop box.........not sure how to compare with the lines on the bottom pic.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "English Classic" design doesn't use long or thick fore-ends, fat, fluted combs, or American Classic cheekpieces. Wink The bottom rifle immediately above is not even close to "English Classic".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the bottom rifle *looks* like it has enfield triggerguard metal to my tired eyes.

on that note, does this rifle:

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gringo Cazador:
top looks to be std box, bottom looks to be drop box.........not sure how to compare with the lines on the bottom pic.

Both have drop boxes. The top rifle has a more "correct" line on the bottom metal that is followed through the rest of the stock. My point is that it is this "line" (dictated by the bottom of the magazine) that makes it look "English."

The second photos illustrates two separate angles for the bottom metal and the forend respectively... it doesn't look "English."

Here's another example of that "correct line" from Martini & Hagn.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post

The above WR rifle most closely exhibits the features that define "British Classic" in my mind.

. Slightly greater drop at heel than comb nose......comb certainly not level.
. Shallow, oval cheek piece.
. Absence of nose comb flutes.
. Distance from front of trigger guard to forearm tip less than distance from front of trigger guard to butt plate.
. grip cap lies above a line from toe that extends to a point touching bottom of trigger guard
. open grip...distance from trigger to leading gripcap edge greater than 4"
. barrel band swivel long distance from forearm tip......almost equally between tip and front ramp.

Many of the above features are slowly creeping into the styles of men who used to define "American Classic". If you compare the early works of Goudy, Wiebe, and Fisher.....they more closely match those of Goens and Biesen than what is currently built today.

The "American Classic" currently has a more open grip, more oval cheek pieces are in evidence, and the comb is almost completely level. The "balance" distances of trigger guard to tip and trigger guard to butt are more equal....or forward distance only slightly longer than aft......barrel length certainly affecting this somewhat.

I think the British "stalking" term is pretty descriptive in this case. The "American Classic" style has evolved to compliment its most frequent use.......stand or blind shooting from a rest.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swedish style.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
3,5,10 & 12

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Boddington is left-handed and I don't see any in your examples. Are you sure any of those are a picture of his rifle? This is his 7x57:

[

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Boddington is left-handed and I don't see any in your examples.

Wink

GV

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Now, there you go; I want one a'them!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too bad the front sight is on backwards

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
I dunno, I'm kind of partial to #8 Roll Eyes

Only thing is it's German, not English

Terry

What model scope is that, and how do you like it? Is it the Euro 30mm Leupold?

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
what action is the purdy based on?

It is all Mauser design.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
The "American Classic" style has evolved to compliment its most frequent use.......stand or blind shooting from a rest.

I hunt from foot and most game is killed o nthe run. Stalking it is then.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Boddington is left-handed and I don't see any in your examples. Are you sure any of those are a picture of his rifle? This is his 7x57:

[

I rotated the photo to make it right handed for the 'Smiths review.

Same gun as I posted.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TC1:

What model scope is that, and how do you like it? Is it the Euro 30mm Leupold?

Yes, it's a Euro 30 Leupold 2-7X33. It looks real nice on the rifle and works well enough considering the 9.3 is a short range cartridge. I got this one on sale. If I had to pay what they want for one of these today I'd be pissed. Optically it's comparable to the old VariX-II's but cost as much as a new VX-III. Unless you can find a really good deal on one I wouldn't recommend it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrandView:

The above WR rifle most closely exhibits the features that define "British Classic" in my mind.

Yeah, its the one I would pick as most representative, along with number 12.

quote:
. Absence of nose comb flutes.

Yes, but there's more to it than that.

The effects of recoil are cumulative, and recoil to the face is much, much more rapidly cumulative than recoil to the shoulder. The comb of the true English design is a straight taper from the butt to the nose of the comb, resulting in a nose that is too thin to flute. This permits the stock to slide slightly away from the shooter's face during the recoil impulse, so that the shooter doesn't get hit in the face. The American Classic design has a thick comb with a thick fluted nose. The British stock is designed for comfort - and it WORKS. The difference is amazing in the big bores. The American Classic is designed for pain. Wink

quote:
Many of the above features are slowly creeping into the styles of men who used to define "American Classic".

I sure wish it would creep faster.
-----------------------------------------------

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I just have to say this again, I just love those fine lines and curves of the Westley Richards rifle...

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
The WR rifle is snacks, very nice rifle and its made by an artist. thank god that it is people that can afford the fine rifles, so the skills and handcraft arnt lost to the history.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
333-

as you have been told, most of the pics you posted were not of the English style. Obviously, Westley Richards knows a little something about making rifles in ENgland Wink and the example shown is a nice one.

As for English styled rifles made in the USA, one of the best is Mark Silver's .404 with H&H scope mounts. SDH has some very good shots of it in his book "Custom Rifles in Black and White." This is very "pure" English styling.

As for wishing for "faster creep" of an English influence on American styled rifles, well, I really do not understand that at all. For one, the whole point of having a custom rifle made is to get just exactly what you want. If you want an English styled rifle, then tell the maker that. THere is no need for "faster creep" due to the fact that you can order what you want today.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
As for wishing for "faster creep" of an English influence on American styled rifles, well, I really do not understand that at all.

Bad designs shouldn't improve? Confused

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
As for wishing for "faster creep" of an English influence on American styled rifles, well, I really do not understand that at all.

Bad designs shouldn't improve? Confused

Bad designs should improve.

But not all American Classic stocks are "bad". Nor will "British" influence necessarily improve them.

For my money this 20's or 30's American stock by Seymour Griffin is perfection.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
WR wins hands down.

And I agree, Marc, that Mark Silver's .404 in SDH's book is a sweet rifle!

I also like Gene Simillion's pre-64 with the straight down bolt handle.

Those two are my favorites in the entire book.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, do you know who made #2?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Granview,nice but the buttplate is too big and gives the Sako look.The Westley Richards butt plate is slightly smaller and looks much more attractive.It's amazing what a small difference in stock proportion can have on the rifle.It seems an inch of wood here instead of there can cause the rifle to be rejected or undesired.