Notify
Tools

Classic "English" Stock Profile
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
So where does my Darwin Hensley fit in the English stock profile:

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
She has got to lose some pounds all over.The wood is OK.I am so glad I can comment on these pics and tell people how they SHOULD be done.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Granview,nice but the buttplate is too big and gives the Sako look.The Westley Richards butt plate is slightly smaller and looks much more attractive.It's amazing what a small difference in stock proportion can have on the rifle.It seems an inch of wood here instead of there can cause the rifle to be rejected or undesired.

Hmmmmm.........I'll likely regret this....

I don't think your above observation is correct. I think to scale the butts on the two rifles are about the same....likely about 5.25". The Westley Richards has a much longer length of pull........probably 14"+, while the G&H is about 13.25".

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
She has got to lose some pounds all over.

Heh Heh.....

Not sure where. The hallmark of Darwin's stocks is how trim they are.

quote:
I am so glad I can comment on these pics and tell people how they SHOULD be done.

It's entertainment not to be missed.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't know where it fits , but that's a gorgeous rifle .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Still,I think the red rifle Woodjack posted on the mauser action thread is the sexiest of them all.I really believe that.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:

Very Nice!

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
quote:

You have a true treasure. What caliber is it?

Reardless of where it fits in the English profile to some folks, it is as good as the best and better than the rest in the overall scheme of things as far as I am concerned. Darwin was one of the best and it is just to bad his health isn't up to doing it yet. Besides being a great stockmaker he is a first class person to boot. I am envious of you for owning such a rifle.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive got these Hensley pics saved in my stock pictures also. Its about my favorite to use as a pattern comparison for the lines and grip. Very nice!

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the nice comments. I posted numerous pictures of the rifle when I purchased it several months ago. It's a 280 Remingtion on a G33/40. The stock is very slim, someone described it as almost appearing "dainty." Daninty isn't the right word but there is not a lot of extra wood anywhere when you have it in your hands. Very narrow and trim forearm, slight castoff, just perfect. I finally have a scope coming for it, should be here tomorrow. Then, I'll be heading to the range soon. It sure feels great and points like a dream.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:

Well, Darwin is an incredible craftsman, but it ain't English. The fore-end is definitely too chunky and, although it's hard to tell from the photo, the comb appears to be as well.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
German and Czech. Why.. just because I like'em

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Classic AustroGermanic lines.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Darwin's stock is an American Classic for sure.

Even that German made stock is more English than Darwins.

All the German stock needs is to shorten the forend and get rid of the Schnabel.

The pancake cheek on Darwin's rifle is English.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prewar70,your rifle is not as lean as the one pictured at the top of richjs' pictures.I feel a slimmer rifle is more attractive in a big bore caliber.The first rifle in the richj pics is very elegant because it is slim and the dropping comb makes it look exotic.Prewar70,I think a slight lightening on the forearm and overall stock would have made it a 10 in my eyes.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
GSP7, very nice!

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote