Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Release Rings-Levers on Right or Left
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
Which side of the action do you put your quick-release levers and does it matter? I've seen it both ways and was wondering if there is a right or wrong way. I've always gone with the levers on the left side or opposite of the bolt because they seem easier to get at.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I agree with you,however the rear lever may interfere with bolt release on a 98 and maybe
the side of reciever on some models,depending
on whoes system your using

Posts: 4 | Location: montana | Registered: 23 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being right handed, I like the levers on the left side of scope. I can hold the scope while I release the lever and pull them up as I do so.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If at all practical I put them on the side that faces my body when the gun is being carried. Less chance of getting hung up on branches and vines and such things that we crawl around in here in the east.

YMMV out west if the dry states, but I'll bet it would work well up in Oregon and Washington's woods.

Rob

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just leave the damn things the way I put them on there. It is the correct way and you should not question my wisdom.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
prewar70 - ya take that - that what he tells me too

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I would never question the Ely Flash. It was really more out of curiousity, really, I promise. Smiler I've even had moments of clarity where I've been able to install my own rings without Kobe's help.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I put mine on the same side as the bolt, since for me they do not get snagged as easily as on the opposite site from the bolt. Especially be aware of snagging if you carry your rifle across your shoulder and your shit or jacket has epulets on the shoulder. It's pretty funny watching someone wrestle with themselves when the lever gets hung up in the epulet.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I put mine on the left so I have less to catch my hand as I work the bolt.

It does not matter in any mechanical sense, strictly personal preference.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Guess I go against the grain here, I put them on the right side.

My theory is that they are quick release levers because you may need to remove the scope quickly. You do this by holding the gun on the forearm with your left hand, and your right you remove the scope and then put the sope away or drop it on the ground and shoulder the rifle.

It saves a few movements.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold has come out with a DG quick release that has only one lever that hides away when installed. Pretty pricey for the rings and mount; about $300.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
left for me... want them away from my hands when i am loading, and they are sharp, generally

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
All my centerfire rifles (except a Ruger No 1) are CZ550's....guess which side the Talley levers go on!? Big Grin

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I put mine on the right side, opposite of the ejection port. I'm correct handed.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Fjold.
Did you know everyone is born left-handed? Yep, and we remain that way until we commit our first sin. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...one southpaw to another. Wink

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I must be really screwed up then.

On my 416 I have them on the right. Made more sense to me. Remove with the right hand.

On my 375, I have the rear on the right and the front on the left.

The rear on left hits the bolt release on my Whitworth.
The front on the right hits the scope turret.

I may be totally wrong, but that's what had to be done if I was to use the levers. Or I need to buy a new scope.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I always have put them on the left,away from the bolt.
If I'm not mistaken,the latin word for left handed is sinister

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "Right" way to do it is to put them on the left for everything that doesn't have a bolt release or something in the way. i.e. Mauser 98's have them facing right, M-70's left.............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only the Leupold QR levers will mount on the left of Mausers, Talleys levers won't swing past the bolt release. On a m70 or CZ, you can probably mount them on either side.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I've always put them on the LH side. On a Whincheser or similar action both front and rear release levers can have RH threads on them
because there is no bolt stop hanging off the side of the action for the rear lever to run into upon release of the scope.

For an M-98 the proper rings to choose have RH threads on the front release lever and LH threads on the rear release lever. The LH threads on the rear ring release allow the lever to rotate up and away from the bolt stop upon release of the scope.

Sunny hill makes a real good set of lever take offs that have RH and LH lever threads on them for mausers. You can put them on what ever you like but they make the most sense on a Mauser.
Timan

Posts: 1214 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Just leave the damn things the way I put them on there. It is the correct way and you should not question my wisdom.

HA! rotflmo

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote