Find
Notify
Tools

458 Win. Mag/458 Lott Conversion??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
Have like new Mauser 458 Win Mag and curious if it can be converted to Lott?? Magazine box is plenty long enough to take much longer round than the 458 Mag, but is there something else one needs to do aside from the recutting of the chamber?? This is a Parker Hale from several years ago and only fired a few times by me to check it out, but if it could be converted , would be economical way to "upgrade" to a new power level. Not sure I need all that power, but again, curious. Input appreciated.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
do you have any lott dummies? that would help on the mag. If you get stuck on mag length, there's plent of markX 375 length bottoms floating around.

me, myself, and I would call a budyd of mine with a "conversion" reamer, which does not cut the belt, and do it. There's little point in a 458 winmag in a rig that will hold a lott...

and if the box was too short, I would run my 458 AR reamer in it and go hunting

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
It certainly can be done. I'm doing this to an FN right now. The Lott has OAL of 3.6" so action is opened quite a bit, mostly to the rear but most are opened some at the front as well. As for your quesiton on power, I think only you can answer that one. Great bumper sticker I saw back when the US auto industry had fallen way behind the foreign competition said: "Real Americans buy what they want!"

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote