Find
Notify
Tools

McGowen Barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
What have been your experiences with McGowen barrels? I am looking for a chrome-moly barrel to use for a .358 Norma.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
IIRC they were advertising barrelled actions 60+ years ago, so hopefully they are doing something right.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several barrels made by Harry McGowen when his shop was in Ste. Anne Ill. Those barrels were excellent.I believe Harry retired and sold the equipment and they have set up shop out west. Different company now but still go by " McGowen Barrels" I wouldn't be afraid to use their barrels again.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I sent off a 96 Mauser to McGowen to be rebarreled in stainless 6.5x55 about 2 years ago.
It is a fantastic shooter.
Shoots everything 120's, 140's of several bullet brands and types into sub moa 5 shot groups, also shoots 100's at one inch.
I am so pleased with it I just ordered a 6x45 barrel from them for an AR15.
Very professional to deal with and quality product at a very competitive price.
Only downside is a fairly long lead time but they tell you the expected wait up front.
Good luck with your project.

By the way I've had similar results from Pac Nor with a .257 and a .243
Great results from Bartlein on a 30/06
And great results from Shilen on a .400 Whelen
These days you have some great choices.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
McGowen Barrels - the new company, makes excellent barrels -- i have 2 Ar/223, 2 500AR barrels, 2 470 barrels, and a .308 in my 30 mauser/spanish destroyer -- ALL of them shoot great --- well under moa for everything

oh, and a .458 barrel that i haven't finished up yet

good stuff

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 20" 6mm-284 barrel from them on a Striker pistol action that is among the most accurate barrels I've ever owned including several others from other high end makers.

Posts: 354 | Location: MD | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, very positive review from me too.
If they have what I want, they are my first choice for barrel maker.
Riflecrank International Permanente has more McGowen barrels than any other make.
They make as good a barrel as any I have tried, including Lilja, Krieger, Shilen, Pac-Nor, Lothar Walther, and Douglas.

The only negative I ever experienced there was back when they took orders over the phone and some "new girl" was doing it.
She ended up getting my barrel cut to 26" instead of leaving it 28" for my gunsmith to finish to 26".
I thought I was perfectly clear on that point, but somehow it got screwed up, just that one time.

Anyway, they have revamped the ordering process, and the web site continues to improve.
The Montana folks seem to have done well with the four tractor-trailer loads of Harry McGowen's machinery and tools from St.Anne, IL.
I am sure they have some new ones by now, but they still have the old .395-caliber, 1:12" twist barrel tooling Harry made special for me about 10 years ago, just before he retired.

Did I say I was partial to McGowen Barrels?

They can do octagon and dodecagon barrels too. tu2
http://mcgowenbarrel.com/octagon/

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have one McGowen (mostly use Shilens), but it's an excellent barrel.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a McGowen .243 barrel (8" twist) blank somewhere here in the house. I bought it a few years ago and I'm going to put it on my long range varmint gun when the current barrel wears out.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Well, I went ahead and ordered a .358 1:14" twist #2 contour today for a .358 Norma project.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
RIP got me onto McGowen barrels awhile back so that I could also have a .395 rifle. After that, I've stuck with them and have been happy to do so.
The only problem I've had is the gunsmith I've used in the past complained about the steel used in them and tool problems thereof. I switched gunsmiths and problem ended.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote