THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    FRICK!!! Browning fell off my bench and broke half of trigger off!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FRICK!!! Browning fell off my bench and broke half of trigger off!
 Login/Join

posted
Help! Is there a way to save the trigger since half is still there? I just had a trigger job done on it and love the feel. I don't want to spend $115 on a new browning a-bolt trigger and another $75 to install and adjust. Any ideas?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
What do you mean half is still there??
Where did it break?

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any ideas

Yep start over.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
KC,
Picture where the pad of your finger touches the trigger. That is where it broke. I was really hoping there was an easy fix (welding).

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
It can be welded but who's to say what else is damaged.
PM sent

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
PM sent

It's pot metal. Order a new parts.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Manufacture one out of 4130 CM.
That is one reason that I don't purchase Japanese/Browning firearms.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 426 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 21 January 2010 09:20
Help! Is there a way to save the trigger since half is still there? I just had a trigger job done on it and love the feel. I don't want to spend $115 on a new browning a-bolt trigger and another $75 to install and adjust. Any ideas?

Do you really want to go on a hunting trip with a broke in half repaired trigger? Suck it up and spend the $200, why risk it.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
jeffe

Is there enough left to put a trigger (over)shoe on it after the fix?

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dan,
How hard would it be to machine one out of CM? I have a friend that is a machinist, do you think he could do this fairly easily?

Rub,
Point taken. I just thought I would put it past you guys since you would know if it could be fixed.

BNagel,
I think so. I will get an account so I can post pics to make it easier to see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a very expensive gunsmithing education you are inflicting on yourself MrRamsay.

But I do thank you for the entertainment

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've only seen one A-Bolt with a broken trigger. And as I recall, the entire gun was beat up pretty bad. I would prefer a good steel trigger too, but, the Browning factory trigger is plenty good for what it is supposed to do, unless you drop the barreled action on a floor. Not many triggers will survive careless handling when the barreled action is out of the stock.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
PM sent

It's pot metal. Order a new parts.

Well that was my assumption that is was steel and not pot metal.

Live and learn.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
FWIW, I've only seen one A-Bolt with a broken trigger. And as I recall, the entire gun was beat up pretty bad. I would prefer a good steel trigger too, but, the Browning factory trigger is plenty good for what it is supposed to do, unless you drop the barreled action on a floor. Not many triggers will survive careless handling when the barreled action is out of the stock.

I had one break in half right below the stock line. Browning replaced the shoe and I promptly sold the rifle.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Brownells shows em for

Post 1993, Trigger w/sear & screw $51.38

Micro Medallion, Post 1993, Trigger w/sear & screw 19.84

I can get em for a little less than that if interested $41 and 15.

Bout all you can do with pot metal that thin is super glue.

Your call.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1374 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
So I took some elmers glue .... just kidding. Alright I guess I am screwed. It sounds like I need a new fricking trigger! As for education, how many of you made mistakes and had accidents when you were learning? I am guessing everyone. It won't be my last, but I hope the next one is cheaper. As usual, thanks for the constructive inputs.

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
By the way; if you get a new trigger w/sear you could use the sear that has been ground or stoned and still have your same trigger job.

Best I remember the A-bolt sear just attaches with a screw in the top.

Louis

Posts: 1374 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I took some elmers glue .... just kidding. Alright I guess I am screwed. It sounds like I need a new fricking trigger! As for education, how many of you made mistakes and had accidents when you were learning?

Who said it will stop? Big GrinYou aren't the first and sure won't be the last.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRAMSAY10:
So I took some elmers glue .... just kidding. Alright I guess I am screwed. It sounds like I need a new fricking trigger! As for education, how many of you made mistakes and had accidents when you were learning? I am guessing everyone. It won't be my last, but I hope the next one is cheaper. As usual, thanks for the constructive inputs.

I break so many thing working on my own guns that my gunsmith's kids go to private schools.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:

There's a 98 mauser bolt stop some where in my garage. It went flying of the surface grinder cause I was to lazy to properly block it in. She took off at mach 5 and was last seen bouncing off the guard on the grinder.

Yes it happen and it still does. we're human we make mistakes we just try to keep it to the cheep and easy stuff to fix. Like my bolt stop.
$9.00 later on ebay and two days wait i had a new one.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

posted Hide Post
Well, thanks guys. It is still going to stink having to pay for not securing my action good enough, but at least I have good company Smiler

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Fixt.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7764 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
LOL, sorry about that but I felt that pic deserved it's own post!

Until you can scrape up the money for a new trigger, or even better make one out of steel, A work-around might be a "trigger shoe". They look like this:

Look them up online, cheap ones are a few dollars and nice ones are $25. Install it with the set screws and a liberal amount of JB Weld. I wouldn't want to take it to Alaska for the winter that way, but it should get you shooting quickly.

P.S. - Boy do I sure wish the biggest/most expensive thing I've ever broken was a trigger!

Posts: 7764 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well you know what they say ; If the Shoe Fits , !!!. Ha Ha Ha I couldn't resist .

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
See mark, that is what I am talkin about! That at least gets me shooting this weekend if i can find something in town. Like you said, that will give me tons of time to fix it before next season. Thanks.

Luckily I have tons of nails laying around my shop floor Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for education, how many of you made mistakes and had accidents when you were learning? ...
Gooooood gosh, accidents happen. Thats the "Good News". The Bad News is they become more frequent as you(I) age. Roll Eyes

It will make a great story for you later on in life. The old, "Well...., I remember way back when I was buying Browning rifles instead of the excellent Remingtons....

Best of luck with the "new" Trigger.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
As for education, how many of you made mistakes and had accidents when you were learning? ...
Gooooood gosh, accidents happen. Thats the "Good News". The Bad News is they become more frequent as you(I) age. Roll Eyes

It will make a great story for you later on in life. The old, "Well...., I remember way back when I was buying Browning rifles instead of the excellent Remingtons....SAKOS

Sorry HC, couldn't resist... Big Grin

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:

It will make a great story for you later on in life. The old, "Well...., I remember way back when I was buying Browning rifles instead of the excellent Remingtons....SAKOSand indestructible Mausers

Fixed for gravity.

Sorry HC, couldn't resist... Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Hotcore,
That hurts Smiler My mom bought me that rifle as a gift about 10 years ago. It holds a very special place in my heart. Just so you know, I think my next rifle is going to be a 700.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hotcore,
That hurts Smiler My mom bought me that rifle as a gift about 10 years ago. It holds a very special place in my heart. Just so you know, I think my next rifle is going to be a 700.

Don't jump too quick to buy the Remington. I have had many problems with a new 700 CDL. I never had a problem with a Browning. I have a 20ga & 12 ga O/U and two A-Bolts. If I have one more problem with this Remington 300 wsm, it will be for sale.

posted Hide Post
Well, because I really need (want) to go shooting this weekend I went ahead and "fixed" the trigger. I roughed up all sides of the trigger with a file then drilled a little hole in each piece to allow the devcon steel epoxy a hole to anchor in. I mixed up some devcon and put a liberal 1/16" coating around the entire trigger. Tomorrow I will file down the trigger a little to take off any rough edges and hopefully it will work for the time being.

Westpac, I know you are cringing but I gotta go shoot Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My mom bought me that rifle as a gift about 10 years ago. It holds a very special place in my heart. ...
I understand. Mom tried her best and was lead astray, it happens. It is rare a gift "fits" perfectly. Dosen't mean you shouldn't use and enjoy the Browning at all.

Obviously you are headed in a better direction than with an exploding Sako-junk or a Mouser. Big Grin

Good idea about trying to make the Trigger work until you get a replacement part. Darn shame you didn't mention it was thick enough to drill. You could have used a small piece of Drill Rod "glued into" the holes and that would have really fixed it.

I've Pinned a couple of my old Redfield Style Scope Bases and they now work better than new.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
before dogging sako or tikka search exploding remingtons i have remingtons and sako and tikkas all have been great guns but here is 1 link on a remington and apperantly their 597 s had exploding problems too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbizDZq5rug

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, because I really need (want) to go shooting this weekend I went ahead and "fixed" the trigger. I roughed up all sides of the trigger with a file then drilled a little hole in each piece to allow the devcon steel epoxy a hole to anchor in. I mixed up some devcon and put a liberal 1/16" coating around the entire trigger. Tomorrow I will file down the trigger a little to take off any rough edges and hopefully it will work for the time being.

Westpac, I know you are cringing but I gotta go shoot Smiler

Dang that was fast! I can tell you are new at this stuff because when you do something stupid and break something, you are either supposed to fix it immediately and shut your trap or grouse about it for a couple of weeks before you do anything about it....

posted Hide Post
Well Mark, I hate to waste my weekend and I have to shoot at least once a week for my therapy Smiler The bad part is, the trigger guard wouldn't fit over the trigger and into the stock! Frick! So, I drilled the trigger stub with an 1/8" bit and steel epoxied a 1/8" steel rod that I bent and cut to fit the angle needed. It sure doesn't look like new, but it will work for this afternoon.

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
MRAMSAY 10, You just want me to go ahead and order you one from Brownells? Louis

posted Hide Post
YO,
Thanks Smiler You are right, I need to do it the right way. I am in the middle of working up a load for this rifle and the weather is perfect for it. The temp outside is close to the same I hunt in, so I really want to take advantage of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to ask. Why would you consider continuing "working up a load" with the rifle in its current condition? This process only works when you and the rifle are shooting at your best. Trying to achieve accuracy (or precision) with the trigger in its current shape is a waste of time. Yeah the rifle will probably go bang, but it won't feel or perform the same after you fix things.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jtinidaho:
I have to ask. Why would you consider continuing "working up a load" with the rifle in its current condition? This process only works when you and the rifle are shooting at your best. Trying to achieve accuracy (or precision) with the trigger in its current shape is a waste of time. Yeah the rifle will probably go bang, but it won't feel or perform the same after you fix things.

I doubt it will make a difference. The shape of the trigger should not affect his groups.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JT,
I have to agree with Jbrown on this one. The trigger weight is very light (same as before), the only difference is the feel of the trigger for my finger. I will let you know though how it turns out.