New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Need Stock Help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am wanting to get a nice looking wood stock for my 300 Win Mag and a guy I know recommended Gatewood Custom Stocks.
Has anyone dealt with this company? Are they any good?

Thanks

Posts: 116 | Location: Cleves, IA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
I've only held one of Claudes stocks, but I sure liked it. Hope they can clean the drool of of it LOL. He seems like a straight up kind of guy on the boards he posts on.
http://www.claudegatewood.com/

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Bill Tompkins>
posted
Kent,

Claude is a true gentleman and loves good wood. His prices are reasonable but I don't know about his turnaround times currently. Take a look at his site from the above link.

Bill

<holtz>
posted
Kent,

I know nothing of Gatewood. Looking at the web site my only impression is that their prices are uncommonly reasonable.

I'm certainly no expert in this field, but have half a dozen or so custom rifles and have learned a few things. My suggestion to anyone in your position is to deal with a stockmaker that you can visit several times before you commit yourself, and visit while work is in progress. Also (unless you are willing to accept just anything), *you* should personally pick out the wood. Before anything is started, there should be a 100% understanding between you and the maker as to exactly what you want and how much it will cost.

A mail order stock could prove to be perfect, and inexpensive. But there is a chance it could be a disaster, and a total waste of money.

Steve

<Gary Rihn>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kent in IA:
Gatewood Custom Stocks...

Has anyone dealt with this company? Are they any good?

I'll vouch for Claude. Great guy, great work. He's done some 10/22 and 77/22 trigger jobs for me as well that are just wonderful. You won't regret dealing with him.

<CWG>
posted
I know nothing of Gatewood. Looking at the web site my only impression is that their prices are uncommonly reasonable.

Agree'd. By sending photos a smith can keep the beast at bay so to speak.
And I'll be increasing my pricing very soon. To be competitive you need to be cheaper- only at first!
CWG

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Claude -
When is the increase? I'm hankering for a nice, trim Rem. Mtn. Rifle type stock for a Ruger 77.
R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote