New
Find
Notify
Tools

FFL
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm not really sure where to post this so I posted it here and in the Medium bore forum.

I was playing on the internet last night and kept seeing kits to get a Federal Firearms License (FFL). I am not a dealer or gunsmith, but I do like the perks of getting guns for cheap and being able to place orders for parts/actions for personal projects.

Is it worth it to get an FFL?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Getting an FFL, as opposed to renewing one, is getting harder these days.

Go to the batfe website and pull down the forms. The "kit" is nothing but packaging.

Basically, they have done a thorough job at making it very difficult for a person to have a FFL without being a seller of guns, or a gunsmith with a shop. BUT, if you are a dealer or a working gunsmith, these are good, common sense things.

gun "cheap".. well, most of the time it's not a stellar amount off...

and the license is what, $300 for 3 years?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have often considered obtaining one my myself (used to have one in the early 80's)
But to be honest I have known half a dozen local guys who used to have them and they would try to sell any weapon for only $25 over there costs and they simply could not get enough business to warrant having the FFL. Passing along there thoughts they claimed very few people would purchase anything new sight unseen and then even less would pay the entire purchase price upfront just to complete the ordering.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had my FFL for about 25 years. It was a gunsmith license. I did blueing when I first got it. Then would sell a gun or two a year after that to hold it. It used to be easy. The renewal was a rubber stamp. Never inspected. Then a couple of years ago at renewal time they came to the house. Checked records. I was going through a divorce and had not sold a gun in 12 months. They gave me two options to surrender and then reapply when I was back in business or try to keep it and they would not renew and that would be held against me when I did try and reapply.

Anymore the "dealer price" the small guy can get is about the same as the sale prices at the big store. Most suppliers will no longer give a discount just to a FFL they want some amount of $$$ service. Depending on state there was a loophole to save sales tax since the purchase was out of state and the transfer was a service not a sale.

The current fee is $200 for 3 years to apply and $90 for a renewal. All the new regs are a real pain in the a$$. Go make friends with a local small dealer. Get to look at his sales flyers and most will give you their price + a few $$ if they don't have to put $$ up front for the purchase.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once had a FFL but gave it up years ago. I use a guy five minutes from the house who charges a $15 flat rate to receive a gun and fill out the form. I buy most of my guns these days online. I keep a supply of signed FFL copies to send to the seller. This way I find the gun, determine the price, and go pick it up when it arrives. He has quoted me new gun prices before, but I never felt it was a good enough deal to pull the trigger. I like used guns better anyway.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I always thought that the BATF would come knocking to checkup on things. The advertisements are a little misleading, but again that is what advertisements are for.

Thanks again, I'll let the dealing be done by someone who is willing to put up with the troubles.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You do not need to be in the business of selling guns to have an FFL. If you receive a firearm for repair, rebluing, stocking or what have you and you have it over 24 hours, you are required to have an FFL and enter the information in your bound book. The concept of getting an FFL to buy guns cheap, as said, is difficult to obtain and hold. That kind of approach is discouraged today. As a gunsmith you can have irregular hours and be available by appt only but I doubt they would buy that from a person whose object was sales. Most new applicatiions will be involve an interview before you get the license. When I applied for mine I made it understood that I was a stockmaker and not involved with sales and I never had an interview nor have I been inspected. I would not buy one just to get guns cheap, it would not be worth it.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I believe the days of getting an FFL for a "Kitchen Table Gunshop" are coming to an end. They have tightened up on the issuance and increased the inspections. The overall number of FFL's has been decreased.

And many states are big on requiring a tax license and expect sales tax collection.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
Depending on what kind of guns you are looking for, a c&r may be the way to go.

I know a couple of guys that recently aquired FFL's and they said that you pretty-much need a store front, (no more home based dealers). Although that may be a local or state rule, I'm not sure.

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I thought about it too till I ran it past my gunsmith who told me "...hell, everybody 'n their brother has an FFL in this county. How you gonna make money with?..." So I dropped the idea.

For me, with the low volume of firearms I might buy or sell in a year's time, its worth it to pay a $10-$25 transfer fee for a friendly dealer's services.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote