New
Find
Notify
Tools

How good are 1935 Chilean Mausers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just found a 1935 chileno barreled action. It has the Mauser Logon in the rear, and writing on left reciever wall says it was made by Oberndorf. Is this what is referred to as a "Banner" action. I am dead set on military 98 for DGR project. I have a 1909 argentine, but the box and bottom metal will be replaced anyway. I the 1935 Chileno a good strong action?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Excellent! thumb

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the best military mausers ever.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Very high quality actions. Here's a 1935 Chilean after a little elbow grease was applied:

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this what is referred to as a "Banner" action.

No a banner is a commercial action not a military.

Yes Chilean mausers are excellent,.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always thought the 'banner actions' were the actions that had the Mauser logo(banner) in script on the receiver ring or rear bridge. I have seen a few Chinese military contract rifles with this banner that were definitely military issue rifles. They were all in bad shape but had the beautiful banner logo. They have Standard-Modell on the left receiver wall too. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fella's. I think I've found my action. This Chileno action is in pretty good shape, with no pitting. Does $195.00 sound like a fair price? All of the numbers match as well. I paid $250.00 for my 1909 and it is flawless as well. The Chileno has a fixed floor plate.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
ColoradoMatt: Does $195.00 sound like a fair price?

Don't think twice, buy it.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I'm all for it.
Timan thumb

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Hey forest, could you please take another picture of your rifle. and post it, I looks like a nice piece of work. Just want to see more of it. Thanks
Tiamn

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
Hey forest, could you please take another picture of your rifle. and post it, I looks like a nice piece of work. Just want to see more of it. Thanks
Tiamn

You really dont want Forrest to post anymore pics of his rifles. They just cause a bad case of gun lust and leave drool all over your keyboard. I swear he posts the occasional pic just to torment the rest of us.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
Tiamn

TiMan- I posted some pics of the rifle before you joined us I think. Here's a link to that thread:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/395106492/r/395106492#395106492

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Forrest..a little elbow grease? Shoot...looks like a little new wood too....

I'm a wild bull rider and I love my rodeo

Posts: 104 | Location: Somewhere north of Eden | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These are some of the best actions built in my book. Mine started life as a carbine I believe as it has the turned down bolt handle. Here's a picture of the one that I'm building a .404 Jeffery on...
35 Chilean carbine action
Here's a pict of where it's at now...
.404 J barreled 35 Chilean action

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Pfeifer, nice looking rear sight base, is it a sleeve, did you make?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plateau Hunter:
I always thought the 'banner actions' were the actions that had the Mauser logo(banner) in script on the receiver ring or rear bridge.

This is my belief also. Can someone clarify?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1680 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which variety of Walnut is your matched pair, and how much might one pay for such one blank?

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No a banner is a commercial action not a military.

I was looking for some pics and I am going to borrow one of Fla3006 pics. It's a military with the mauser banner:

I will eat crow and say yes that is a banner mauser and yes its a military. It is not what I have in mind when I hear of a mauser refered to as a banner though. I am thinking commericial type A and B mausers. And they are quite a bit more refined. I will keep looking for a good pic of what I thinking of, and post if I can find one

They both do qualify as banners, I had commercial in my head, and forgot some of the military contract rifles did not have country crests.

I guess the correct term I should have used is commercial banner mauser. My bust.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for clarifying that schromf. I sold a Chilean a couple of years ago and was pretty sure it had a banner. Had pitting under the stock but the rest of it was very nice, collector bought it.

Posts: 1680 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Someone wanted to see a cammercial 'Banner" Mauser?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

That thing is just gorgeous. Where did you get it. Got anymore photos of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Someone wanted to see a cammercial 'Banner" Mauser?

That is what was in my mind when I was thinking banner. And the refinements over the military are obvious.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Tasto Custom .375 Oberndorf Mauser

quote:
Tasto custom .375 Oberndorf Mauser. Single square bridge Mauser action. Marquart cut rifle barrel with sights, sling swivel and second recoil lug machined on barrel. Tapered barrel features a machined-in quarter rib, lug and front rib with hooded front sight. One fixed leaf sight and three folding leaf sights milled into quarter rib. Rifle has never neen fired and leaf sights are unregulated. Grisel drop magazine box floor plate. Blackburn trigger. Three position stainless steel safety. Tear drop style four panel checkering on bolt knob with jeweled bolt. The stock is exhibition grade English walnut in a classic style with two cross bolts and exceptional fine mullered border point pattern checkering and ebony tip. N.E.C.G. trap door grip cap containing two spare front sights. Recontoured Dave Talley rear swivel stud. 13 1/2" LOP over red rubber London Guns pad.

It is for sale on Calbela's Gun Room

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun.../397301_tasto375.jsp

A mere $5399 and it is yours.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Pfeifer, nice looking rear sight base, is it a sleeve, did you make?

fla3006,
It is indeed a sleeve made by none other than Jim Wisner. One he had left on hand from way back. I've got a 3+1 NECG express sight to mount in it.
Regards,
Jeff P

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote