THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    laser bore sighter idea ... well, carry on of one

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

laser bore sighter idea ... well, carry on of one
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
you can buy a "223" laser bore sighted, and then buy cases to screw it into.

here's my idea ..
get a $10 small laser pointer
fill some cases with cheap epoxy
spin em in my lathe, drill a through hole
bore a hole to hold the laser pointer
put a switch, either on the side or bottom, to turn on when you close the bolt

BANG, cheap laser bore sighter, and with "infinte" cases

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

It's probably cheaper ($139 +S/H!!!!! Eeker) just to buy one: http://www.huntsinc.com/acusight/info.asp

Trouble is it is cartridge specific - Do you REALLY want to buy one for every calibre you own? I didn't think so.

but this is better:

http://www.nextag.com/laser-bore/search-html

Like your idea, it is better to have a laser module you can slip into a range of cartridge case bodies. Now THAT would sell well.

Cheers

pete

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Pete,
i think, since i have the lathe and tools, that an individual case costs, well, next to nothing... the one's I have seen, commerially, are VERY well made, but for just a few rounds

looking for a 50cent solution! clap

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Seems like a neat concept and I've been thinking about them quite a bit since they first come on the market.

My only problem I see that you could get into is the fact that if the chamber is out of alignment with the bore, you're not gonna have an accurate boresight.....How much.....who knows, but it would have to have some factor in there.
The same can be said about a out-of-round chamber or excessive headspace with the laser case.....Again how much it will be off, or to what degree the customer really cares is the real question.

The laser boresights that align from the bore like the traditional ones seem to me to be the logical way to go and can handle just about any caliber without having a slew of cartridges laying around with lasers in them.

Just my .02.

If you do decide to tinker with the idea.....please post results and compare them to a standard boresight method....I'd be highly interested to see the outcome.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It might not be as easy, or as fun, but have you ever used a collimater? (spelling). I don't remember the name fo the top brand, but I bought a little BSA setup from E-bay for like 30 bucks. works with spuds in the end of the barrel and you attach the collimater to that. works pretty darn good. comes with a standard set of spuds, which would be easy enough for you to make custom for the .423, 505 etc.

I have heard that guys that are really good can even figure out other things with them like the iron sight stuff. I did use mine for that on my 375 since the original iron sight shot pretty much on at 100yds. and I needed to raise the sight line. I noted where the original sites were showing up in the collimaters grid (which happened to be dead center luckily enough) so when I got the new sights on there I was able to see that they were the right setup front and rear by putting it back in there and looking at the position on the grid.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I use one from Cabelas made by LaserLyte of Arizona. It has the nylon/plastic expansion ends that handle anything from .22 to .45. They seem to center well and project out to 60/70yds at dusk. I sight in before I leave the US and check with the LaserLyte then chack the first nite on safari to see if anything has changed. Has worked fine for me on the last 2 trips. Don't take up any space and everything is in the neat nylon case they come in. Take seconds to adjust to your rifle. Fits easily in the rifle case.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have one that is like what you plan on.
except it also has a mandrel that is placed in the muzzle for the light to aleign to the center of the bore. o-rings for diffrent size bores.
the target has a special surface so the lazer will show up at a distance of 25 feet.
It's a pia to set up and get lined up.
I use the old bore sighter and like it better

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote