Find
Notify
Tools

1st stock from a blank
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
I've done several semi inlets and quite a few from patterns where I used a old stock to modify a pattern but this is the first from a blank. Against my better judgement here is the result hillbilly It's a Colt light rifle in .270. Very accurate and my favorite hunting rifle. I'm not terribly happy with it but not terribly dissapointed either. Feel free to be critical, I'm open to advice to get better. It is slim as I wanted but not real pleasing to the eye. The cheek piece bugs me the most. The good news I can only improve. I didn't do the checkering, I had a local guy do a basic pattern for me.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
My goodness! I applaud your efforts and a job well done. You are right the cheek piece is a little odd looking. I think if it "melted" into the stock sooner. If that makes sense.

However I should not give any criticism as I would just have fire starting material had I attempted what you accomplished!

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Man, if this is your first attempt, great!! I used my first one as firewood!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it looks excellent,the way I aways looked at it you only have to please yourself . Good job ! Bill

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I would have made the bottom line of the cheek piece parallel with the bottom line of the stock. Other than that I like the stock very much. I would like to know what you don't like about the stock?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Stock shape is a purely personal thing. Your execution looks excellant to me. If you want critique from a personal standpoint I would say the cheekpiece is to full toward the front. I usually make the bottom line reasonably parallel the bottom line of the stock. I also like a more defined flute at the comb of the stock and I have a personal dislike to the flat bottom. I lend more to the Jerry Fisher round bottom approach without the round bottom metal if that makes sense. I definitely would not be ashamed to own and show off your stock in any case. VERY nice job. These are purely personal opinions and I hope that is what you were asking for.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice job, I'll be trying my first one this year an I hope it turns out as well, only I'm going to start on a two piece for a M99.

I would prefer the comb flutes to be narrower and more well defined.

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey, Well Done!

Doing it yourself gives a true appreciation for the design and shaping skills required for the 'outside' of the stock.

My first attempt from a block did not go onto a gun.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
The comments on the cheekpiece are spot on. It was a exercise in frustration. I wish I could spin it clockwise and drop it a bit. Smiler

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be proud if it were mine!
I did a blank some 40 years ago and have cursed the results almost daily since then. NEVER HAS SO MUCH TIME AND EFFORT BEEN WASTED ON SUCH A BEAST OF UGLY WOOD.Then I realized that there was wisdom in using semi-inletted stocks and have been happy ever since.

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the comments on the cheekpiece, but other than that I think it is beautiful. One day I hope to have the guts to post pictures of my first from a blank as I am also not quite happy with it either, after three years.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Theres only three things wrong with that Rifle !.
Bolt and Cheek piece are on the wrong side cheek piece appears to be high and last It doesn't belong to me !. I commend your skill as well as effort !!!!!!!!!.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You've done a great job and I, too, applaud your efforts!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, it is an enjoyable hobby. Wish I had a mill though. The trigger guard is too beefy as well. I've seen where SDH says he does a full scale drawing before he starts. I think that's a real good idea and I'll do it in the future.

one of us
posted Hide Post
great job i sure hope my first is have that nice i have a feeling my first will be fire wood when done

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man, if this is your first attempt, great!! I used my first one as firewood!

+1

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
The trigger guard is too beefy as well

It's perfect for me.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Looks nice. I may have to try it one day.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it looks great. A family heirloom for sure. How many hours do you think you have invested in it?

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
bluefin, not real sure. I'm real slow.