New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scratched Stainless
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best way to remove light scratches in stainless barrel? Would a dremel with buffing pad be a way to go?

Thanks

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
scot or 3m pad

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38649 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beadblast

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 1000 grit sand paper and that worked great for me. Depending on how heavy the scratches are, you may need a slightly heavier grit (or more elbow work), but I wouldn't go below 800. It will polish it to a shine. That may not match the rest of your stainless, so be advised.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I tell those customers of mine, who are concerned with the occasional appearance of little scratches on their stainless guns, that if they carefully work the entire gun over with a Scotch Brite pad, not only can they obtain a real nice looking brushed finish, but they will be able to touch it up anytime, anywhere in about a half of a second.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your ideas!

Westpac -I especially like your idea and will try that.

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac, I have used that method with a green 3M pad on a Ruger Security Six. Makes a very nice finish, close to but slightly different than the factory finish. It can be touched up effortlessly. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Yup the green pads work great!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote