New
Find
Notify
Tools

Options for 375 H&H length Mauser Bottom Metal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a new in the white FN mauser action dated 1953. I've had it for my guess close to 20 years. Never really paid much attention to it, just knew I had it and would use it someday for a project. I didnt realize it was 375 H&H length untill I looked at it closer at it last night. I realized I don't have bottom metal for it.

I have a new Sunnyhill 375 length piece of bottom metal, but was planning on using that for a 300 H&H barreled action I have.

Pretty sure Sunnyhill does not make bottom metal anymore or even sure they are in business anymore. I know that Blackburn may still make 375 length bottom metal but dang they are pricey.

I doubt I have many options as to who is making 375 H&H lenght bottom metal for Mausers these days, Blackburn may be my only option.

I'd like to get comments on what my options are, maybe someone is makeing bottom metal I am not aware of. I also plan to post in the classifieds, thats where I bought the Sunnyhill bottom metal I have, but that was at least 15 years back.

It sure seems to be hard to get Mauser stuff in this day and time, guess I'm getting old, but probably not the only one on here.

Comments please.

Thanks, Billy

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should put your order in now for a Blackburn, I have had one on order for months.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I believe sunny hill is selling only through brownells.

Just curious on that action...presume you mean the receiver has been lengthened to 3.6, has the load/ejection port also been opened?

Does GMA sell bottom metal only? Not sure if they do??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
You should put your order in now for a Blackburn, I have had one on order for months.

You MIGHT consider the 416 Rem bottom metal..Pretty simple to "squeeze" the front to make it compatible for the 300/375., They might have it in stock..just bought one last week, did the above and works perfect. BTW..the price is actually darn reasoballe

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
I believe sunny hill is selling only through brownells.

Just curious on that action...presume you mean the receiver has been lengthened to 3.6, has the load/ejection port also been opened?

Does GMA sell bottom metal only? Not sure if they do??

BaxterB,

Yes, looks to be opened on the bottom to 375 length. Its more rounded in the front where a Whitworth I have is more square in the front. On top it's been milled at the ring, just like the Whitworths I have.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:
Originally posted by skb:

You MIGHT consider the 416 Rem bottom metal..Pretty simple to "squeeze" the front to make it compatible for the 300/375., They might have it in stock..just bought one last week, did the above and works perfect. BTW..the price is actually darn reasoballe

Duane,

I want to make sure I am reading this right. Remington 416 mag bottom metal is same centers and can be modified to fit my FN action. I thought the holes were different measurement for some reason. Not sure why, but thats what I thought.

Thanks Billy

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Billy,
he said he bought a BB in 416 rem, and they might still be in stock, i assume for a mauser

scroll down to the mausers, and there's a 416 for mauser
https://www.swiftbullets.com/p.../blackburn-gun-metal

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Does FN Supreme bottom metal hold .375 H&H?

Posts: 7518 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Only if the box is made for the length of a 375.
The FN Mausers were just hogged out inside for the 375; otherwise like any standard length 98, and all bottom metal has the same screw spacing; they are not special receiver lengths. I have lengthened standard military boxes to fit the 375.
The FN does have very thin lower locking lug seats, which some don't like. It makes the receivers weak. Does that matter? You decide.
When I do a 375 on a 98, I remove metal from both front and rear, thereby leaving most of the lower lug recess intact.
A better option for a 98 is a 376 Steyr. Of which I am building two right now.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dcpd,

376 Steyr is a neat round. Built one 15-20 years ago, can’t remember Jeff may remember we blued it in his tank.

I have two other 375 H&H, but not on a Mauser. One is a Remington the other is CZ550. Figured 375 H&H would be good use for this action.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)