New
Find
Notify
Tools

View thru old eyes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not sure where to put this topic, and might sound a bit inconsiderate...but if you'll excuse me for being too young :

People always say "The rifle shot 1.5 inches at 100 yards, if it weren't my old eyes and the iron sights, the group would have been better..."

What is it like to shoot iron-sighted guns with eyes that have seen a lot of lives? Is shooting handguns difficult too? Can tired vision be corrected if the shooter is wearing glasses?

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do miss the eyesight I had when I was 25...

For a lot of us, the problem is presbyopia. Your lens hardens with use, and won't focus in close anymore. So you end up with reading glasses, or bifocals like me.

Under low light conditions, it is very hard to see the dang rear sight, long gun or short. Under bright light, it is a lot easier, because the pupil of your eye constricts, and that puts a lot more things in focus.

One answer is an aperture rear sight. That works well for me. I have one on my Swede, and shoot 1 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

Another answer involves a little different use of eyeglasses. You take three small strips of black electrical tape, and make a little clear triangle, about 1/4" on a side, in the middle of the lens for your dominant eye. That's just like "stopping down" a camera, and it lets you focus on more things. Of course, it cuts down light, so you'd better have a high contrast target.

Probably the best solution is a scope. Works great for old eyes.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info, denton

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<BEJ>
posted
or, get a Farr-sight from Brownells (about $10). Same basic idea as the "tape cure" in the last post. It has two round disks with a single hole in the front disk and different sized holes in the second. There's also a clip to hold it on your shooting glasses.