Notify
Tools

Schuler magazine design.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had photos, drawings, or at least detailed descriptions on the design of the Schuler 500 Jeffery Mauser Magazine. I have a Mauser action that I lengthened years ago and am trying to decide what to chamber it in. If the Schuler conversion is a reasonable one, then I see no reason not to build it.

Thank you for any help,

-Catter

------------------
Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice , practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is over engineered in my opinnion and leaves me cold as to trust in a DGR...they did have problems with them and thats why they were never popular I suspect...I recall an old Hatari Times article by Harold Wolfe that went into that...but I know a PH who has one and it has never failed him...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Having seen the original article, do you think you could give me a detailed description of how the system worked? I'd really appreciate some insight.

Right now, a Jeffery dummy round with OAL of 3.52 nestles nicely in the magazine. I know that I can easily get 2 rounds in there in a straight stack but I'm not sure how keeping the correct cartridge angle was originally delt with.

If I had some drawings or photos, I could start fabricating parts and playing with it.

Thank you,

-Catter

------------------
Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice , practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Wildcatter are you going to the Houston gun show next week? I would like to discuss the Schueler mag with you as I to am interested in making one. I have been tinkering with the idea for a Schueler type device with a hinge on it to fit to a 1909 Arg. trigger guard.

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 01-21-2002).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I posted some inquiries about a 500 Jeffery here several months ago, and got lots of helpful responses. One German gunsmith who used to post here under the name bongo500 was kind enough to mail me photos of 3 different actions he had done. I scanned them this morning, and you can see them at http://204.184.75.173/~cwatts/500jeff . Some of the photos are kind of dark, but you should be able to make out the u-shaped follower in one of them. There's also a file there called schuler.doc that is an article on the Schuler conversion in MS Word format.

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
There's some discussion of this topic on the Big Bore forum under "500 Jeff- Appropriate Action"

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much Cannon. This is just what I needed!

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Cannon,

Thank you so much. That looks like a pretty easy make.

Bear Claw,

I'd like to go but I am going to have company all weekend. If the show starts on Friday, I might be able to meet you there.
Do you have a booth? Let me know on the dates of the show.

-Catter

------------------

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The show opens Saturday. I'm not getting a table this time. I'll be the guy with the 1871/84 Mauser in 98% condition ( trading material )

------------------
NRA Life member

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is an article with lots of pictures in Rifle 176 - March/April 1998 - that goes into a fair amount of detail about the 12.7 X 70mm Schuler and the Mauser 98 that has been modified to handle it.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote