Find
Notify
Tools

Build a 22 JET Rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
popcornFor the last couple months I've been looking into getting an accurate 22 Jet rifle. I was favoring converting a new Ruger #1 which I have in .223. There have been some delays and during that time , having gotten more feed back on this Idea; perhaps the Ruger #1 isn't the way to go. Roll Eyes On a current AR thread there even was a statment that under comparative testing the Handi Rifle performed much better. shocker

Now I'm in a quandry as to what to do. This thread is intended to go to you experts for advice. I definitely want the Jet and trust you can help me. What say you? fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of thoughts...I really like my Handi Rifles, but you would have to have a custom barrel made as I can think of no way to convert a current barrel other than relining. I don't know who would tackle either job.
I think a small Martini action would make a great 22 Jet, but they are somewhat hard to come by and parts are very scarce.
There is a company, named on this site awhile back, that is going to start making copies of the Winchester Hi and Lo-Wall actions. The Low Wall would make a nice rifle, but it does have an outside hammer which some do not like.
The last would be a T/C Contender or Encore. I have an Encore, and while it shoots well and is well made, it seems to lack "class" IMHO. It is more utilitarian than anything else. But if you don't mind that, there are several custom barrel makers that will make you just about anything you want for the T/C line.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I would also seriously consider a TC Encore. According to the Thompson Center web site, the .22 Jet is an available chambering for a barrel from their custom shop. With an Encore, you could have several barrels in different calibers from .17 rimfire up to .416 Remington or .45-70.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
I would also seriously consider a TC Encore. According to the Thompson Center web site, the .22 Jet is an available chambering for a barrel from their custom shop. With an Encore, you could have several barrels in different calibers from .17 rimfire up to .416 Remington or .45-70.

popcornIf I went done this path can I expect the Encore to deliver MOA? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
get a handirifle in 223 or 22Hornert, both are .224 barrels.. send action in for the factory triger job.. its NICE... and rechamber.. superglue - yes, i said that- the ejector IN the barrel and chamber it whole

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have only shot one Encore, a .223 with which I killed a Roe Deer. I had discounted them until that time, but the one I shot was a pleasure to carry and would shoot MOA. I have owned a couple of TC Contender pistols over the years, and they were vey accurate. I had scoped .218 Bee and .30 Herret barrels, and both were capable of MOA accuracy. From what I can gather, encores are also quite accurate.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornNo great ideas from any of you other experts? Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a sweet one on a BSA Cadet Martini action over at
http://adamsguns.com/2482.htm

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by manhasset:
There's a sweet one on a BSA Cadet Martini action over at
http://adamsguns.com/2482.htm

fishingThat is a sweet heart! My only draw backs are will it shoot and the condition of the trigger. I've owned some fine looking inaccurate rifles before. bewilderedroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its just like a woman, she can't be smart and good lookin at the same time

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its just like a woman, she can't be smart and good lookin at the same time

I'm not so sure - women can multi-task! Big Grin

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
I'm curious as to why you choose the JET over other CF .22's? One of my "project guns" is a Frank de Haas Chicopee C.F. I am trying to decide between the JET and K-Hornet. I own a S&W Model 52 revolver, which is chambered for the .22 JET/.22 WMR (with inserts) so I am leaning a little towards the JET. I was just wondering if you looked at the Hornet, K-Hornet, Bee or other offerings and how you made your decision? Many thanks.

-- Brian

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Site with 22 Jet has a Sale Pending. r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
get a handirifle in 223 or 22Hornert, both are .224 barrels...and rechamber...

I imagine a Jet reamer would clean up a Hornet chamber but I doubt it would have much effect on a 223 chamber. A fella might shop for an Hornet HandiRifle with demonstrated accuracy to start from. The Jet is a goofy little cartridge but it's bartsche's money. Oh yeah, instead of an Encore the Jet would fit neatly in the much handier Contender action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche: The Jet design with its sloping (radiused?) shoulder is really problematic. Have you considered using a .256 Winchester case necked down to .224"? This is the identical case, but with a real shoulder on it. Switching parent cases doesn't solve your gun problem, but I think it would make for a rifle that is easier to work with.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you considered using a .256 Winchester case necked down to .224"?

Why exactly would the case shape or shoulder angle influence case life? Is there any reason not to chamber the rifle to allow the case to headspace on the case mouth? This works for straight cased pistols. (I do it with my hornet and get zero case stretch). My 44 mag only lost cases to neck splits from failing to anneal. If I didn't crimp, that would not have happend.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had, of all things, a smokeless powder actioned Rem rollingblock in Jet. I got over it real quick and rechambered it to it's currant ( and fun) 219 zipper. Once I got a decant trigger job done even that old girl will shoot very nicely!
Oh, a martini cadet has the most simple and crisp trigger you can find with almost nothing but a screwdriver adjustment.

One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
303Guy --

Where did you find those drawings? For comparison, can you post a photo or link to the .22 K-Hornet? Many thanks.

-- Brian

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about building a shortened .221 FB?
You could use .357 brass, shortened dies and a standard reamer.
If you want a bigger payload use the .357 Max brass.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where did you find those drawings?

Steves Pages - page8d
http://www.stevespages.com/page8d.htm

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingThere is a lot of interesting and well thought out postings in this thread. thumb
My wanting a 22 Jet over many of the suggested 22 cartridges has not much sound, rational logic. Thought perhaps it would be interesting to play with and collect some data. I have 2 ea. 22-250s, 3 ea. .223s and one .222. The vast majority of my future shooting will be the 22s. I probably have enough 22 bullets, primers and powder to last the rest of my life.
Most of my shooting will be paper and metal targets. SmilerI once was a serious ATA competitor till my eyes gave out. Spent many years chasing mule deer and elk but the old body began to complain a little from to much of that kund of exertion. Eeker Varmint shooting was an occasional thing ; more as a fill in activity rather than a serious avocation. BOOM
Roll EyesToday the bench receives most of my attention and although I still have 30 some rifles from .22 to .375 the larger calibers are starting to hurt a little from a sitting position. Eeker Combine this with the exorbitant cost of buying more larger caliber bullets and using greater amounts of powder and right-a-way using up what I already have makes some sense. shocker
I still do a little larger caliber shooting ,however, with cast bullets which seems better affordable.
WinkAnother thought was to use a 22 jet chamber and cut down .223 brass. This would mean using the long sloping shoulder for head spacing rather than the 22 Jet's rim. Don't know if that's ever been done but I might try it. popcorn

Seems that when reloaders neck size the H&H cartridges they rely on that shallow shoulder rather than the belt to get the job done.
coffeeCan't say for sure in what direction this thing will go. The one GS I was trying to get to do the job is apparantly rather loaded with work right now. That has given me time to confuse myself with facts and logic. spaceRoger

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to rebarrel an older H&R .22 Hornet. I bought a Remington .223 take off barrel for the project. I cut the old barrel off the shank about 4" from the chamber end where it steps down to the barrel, centered the shank in the chuck and bored it out to 3/4", then cut off the .223 chamber and machined a 4" x 3/4" shank on the barrel and soldered it into the receiver shank, chambered it to .22K Hornet and sent the customer on his way. He was so pleased with the way it shot he brought it back to have me restock it. He uses 35gr. Hornady V-max and shoots 3 shot clover leafs all day long.

Posts: 85 | Location:  | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
ss --

Was that the 35 or 40 degree shoulder?

-- ale

one of us
posted Hide Post
ale
It is a Clymer reamer , so whatever they produce as their standard K-Hornet shoulder angle The neck length of the reamer is .250 .
regards,
shortshot

Posts: 85 | Location:  | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote