New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRC M1999 action straightening?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got a couple. The surface is wavy and has dips in it. Looks overly buffed. I'm sure this is a cosmetic issue and doesn't affect the functioning. I also don't want to part with these, since I could be waiting another 5 years before Winchester makes another run of M70 in left-handed.

Can the lines be straightened out? In other words, can a straight round steel bar that has been buffed excessively and inexpertly ever be finished so as it is again a straight round steel bar and not all way?

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It can be put on a surface grinder if held by a rotating jig.

My M1999 was like that but as it was SS the bead blasting hid the defects pretty well on the second one they sent me.

You have to find someone who will do it for you and have the money to pay for it. Perhaps Dennis Olsen in MT can handle it for you. Give him a call.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
call mrc... talk to them about the issue
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HC,

The Montana actions you have, are they left-handed? What length are they and what type of steel? Stainless or blue.
I just aquired a brand new left-hand model 70 in 375. It's matt blue with 2 cross bolts.
Maybe we could work out buy and trade deal.

Let me know.
At this post or at my E-address: powellrprp1@cs.com or mag4570@hotmail.com

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a stainless and a chrome-moly; both LH, both with belted magnum magazine box and followers. Any surface waviness in the stainless is much less noticeable. The stainless is bead blasted.

I've got one of those M70's (LH Classic Safari Express in 375). It took over 2 years since the purchase, and I've got an additional $600 in it. It doesn't have a scope on it, but it does finally shoot and feed correctly.

I may eventually want to unload one of my MRC actions. Maybe not soon. I'm sort of settling into this idea of being left handed and having more guns available than I actually want.

One thing about these MRC actions. I keep hearing about one-piece bottom metal. These charter issue actions have what looks to me as two-piece bottom metal. The trigger guard part is bolted to the floorplate frame with two set screws. If the two pieces are bolted together, does that make it one-piece bottom metal?

H. C.

(edit)

As far as trading for a new M70, I think I'd be getting more in the bargain than I actually want. You've got to get something for the barrel and stock. I probably will re-barrel, and I don't like anything about the stock on my current M70 except the way it looks and the fact it's paid for. It does not shoulder well on me. I got out all my long guns, and this M70 (the one I'm supposed to kill a dangerous animal with) is the most awkward one to shoulder. I measured length of pull and length from the pistol grip to the butt (all but my 1894), and I didn't see a pattern as far as what felt right and what felt awkward.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HC,
No problem. Didn't know you already owned a 70 leftie.

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing about these MRC actions. I keep hearing about one-piece bottom metal. These charter issue actions have what looks to me as two-piece bottom metal. The trigger guard part is bolted to the floorplate frame with two set screws. If the two pieces are bolted together, does that make it one-piece bottom metal?

It does when compared to the (original) M70 bottom metal. The M70 bottom metal requires 3 action screws, the 1-piece bottom metals only require 2.

When MRC originally developed the action, they were going to get bottom metals from Williams. Eventually, they went to a different supplier - long story. The Williams bottom metal is also made up of two pieces, but the jojnt (for lack of a better word) is much less visible. Some fancy machining, apparently.

Don't know about other bottom metal versions - like Blackburn - others will be more qualified here.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
It does when compared to the (original) M70 bottom metal. The M70 bottom metal requires 3 action screws, the 1-piece bottom metals only require 2.

When MRC originally developed the action, they were going to get bottom metals from Williams. Eventually, they went to a different supplier - long story. The Williams bottom metal is also made up of two pieces, but the jojnt (for lack of a better word) is much less visible. Some fancy machining, apparently.

Don't know about other bottom metal versions - like Blackburn - others will be more qualified here.
- mike[/QUOTE]

Blackburn is a true one-piece, unlike Sunny Hill, Badger, Ours, and MRC's.
Our new bottom metal will be a true one-piece forging, unlike Blackburns that it machined from plate I believe.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that Matt, and while I have your attention.... If one wants a drop box magazine (is that the right term for a mag with greater capacity, with a wider stock covering the mag??), is it merely the mag box that needs changing, or does the bottom metal also have to be changed (on a M70 or a M1999, say)???

Do I make sense??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now you guys have me all stressed-out. I have been waiting for my stainless Montana lefthand, long action magnum since April of 2003. It has been in the hands of the gunsmith since November 15; I have not seen it because of work and holiday considerations. I will be able to see it for the first time in a few more days. If it has a wavy, undulating surface I will be most unsatisfied. I hope I got a good one...

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Thanks for that Matt, and while I have your attention.... If one wants a drop box magazine (is that the right term for a mag with greater capacity, with a wider stock covering the mag??), is it merely the mag box that needs changing, or does the bottom metal also have to be changed (on a M70 or a M1999, say)???

Do I make sense??

- mike

Depending on the rifle in question, sometimes no more than changing mag springs and having the stock with a little more belly to it will do the trick. Another option is to have the floorplate modified to allow a little more room which will work for the M70 and most likely the M99.
As a general rule, the entire bottom metal is modified to accomodate more cartridges and is probably the most foolproof manner of accomplishing the task.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt. Good of you to contribute to my education! Smiler
- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Root: I wouldn't worry about the quality of your action. Do a search here on the past hype on these. Forget basic safety and quality issues and a total lack of QC. My safety will not operate worth squat and they told me exercise it 100 times (the probloem is obvious it was fit with a Dremel tool). My action was so poorly polished....that I had to stone off every bit of the MRC logo to get it true. Even the basis for a custom action should have good basic components.. And a good suppier would have someone in the office that knows WTF's up? I would like to ask who is in charge of communications at MRC now that all these FU actions have been delivered?

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
10at6, by far the most people that have bought M1999 actions (including myself) have been very happy with them. But I guess that from time to time, a lemon does slip through. If that was the case with your action, why don't you get in touch with Jeff at MRC - phone is best: 406-755-4867. MRC has been very good at standing by their products.

Depending on when your action was manufactured, there may have been a minor change (notch) added to the bolt shroud. That was one issue that came up in the past with safeties that did not work properly. I'm sure your safety can be made to work as expected.

Most of the M1999 actions seem to be useable (in terms of surface finish) as they come from the factory. A lot of them (all?) may have some unfished areas below the stock line. The general impression seems to be that M1999 actions are about equal to factory actions (finish wise) when shipped. Whether yours was better or worse than this "norm", is obviously hard to say. Naturally, if you have decided to work on the action (yourself?), it may be hard to get MRC to accept a return. But this is probably premature to discuss this. Best to see what MRC says.

- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
***(Post deleted by HenryC470, since he is so fantastically pissed off about the situation he feels he should not express his thoughts on the MRC charter program while in such a mood.)***

one of us
posted Hide Post
Henry,
Please express them at such time that you believe you can do so in an intelligent and reasonable manner. I would like to hear them.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester has left hand guns in stock. The product manager told me that they have 300, 270 WSM in Featherweights and 7mm Rem Mag in Sporters. Bigger dealers usually can order direct (Cabelas, Bass Pro etc). If a dealer tells you they can not get one, go to another dealer that will work with you.

Winchester is making one piece bottom metal in many of their guns now.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of pics I received from my smith only yesterday. The action was shipped directly to him, so judge for yourself.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lefty, eh, Stu?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stu C
I also have a left handed stainless Montana, what length caliber is your action made for?

one of us
posted Hide Post
jbmich,

That one is a lh long CM with std bolt face. Will become a 270 WCF just as soon as the barrel arrives.

I also have another LH long and a LH short with a different smith.

I didn't appreciate the long wait from the beginning of the charter issue program and it's good to finally have the actions in hand. But I did ask both smiths to inspect the actions when they arrived. Both have reported back that all 3 seemed OK, safeties all function etc. A little extra polishing and they'll be ready for my purposes.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote