Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a 6 3/4lb, 338 win mag possible?
 Login/Join

posted
Looking to buy or build a light weight , left hanf 338 win mag. Any ideas?

Posts: 173 | Location: Pa | Registered: 02 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yes mga

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking to buy or build a light weight , left hanf 338 win mag. Any ideas

As Jeffe says "Matchgrade Arms" http://www.mgarmsinc.com/ultra.htm can get there. You can do it yourself (or get darn close)for far less $$. You will pay a lot for the removal of the last couple of ozs.

I have used Brown Precision's stock but don't know their final weight for their rifles. http://www.brownprecision.com/custom-high-country-rifle.htm

Years ago I took a Ruger MK11 stainless had the barrel shortened to 22" and the taper recut very light built it on a blind box 13oz Kelar/carbon fiber stock and used an ADL guard. With a 2.5X8 my trigger pull guage read right at 7#. There was no question if the round fired.

Barrel work was less than $100 (or just buy a feather weight) Guard was $35 and at the time the blank was around $250(I did the work). Now closer to $400+.

HighTech has a 1# blank for around $250.

This is my wifes 7x57 built with a hightech and Daly barreled action. Close to 7#.
This is my 340 built with a MPI and 98 action and Douglas (#2?) barrel.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will depend on the weight of the scope. You'll have to be pretty careful with that if you want to get really low.

Now ... will it be fun to shoot at that weight? Probably not a lot.

At 8 pounds complete the .338 Win Mag is a pussy cat in comparison to the boomers.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you have picked out your action yet, but I can tell you that I was at the Gander Mountain Store in Lakeville Minnesota last evening and they had two Brand new Winchester Model 70 Classic Left hand rifles in 7mm Rem Mag there for $649.00. Obviously there would be some sales tax, but if your looking for that type of action one of those rifles might be a good place to start.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your content with push feed,Have a look at the website below, model 28 Alaskan,about 5.75lb bare rifle.
http://www.newultralight.com/HTML/custom-rifles.html
...If your not hell bent on a .338winMag, MelForbes-NULA could build you a model 24 in .33806,35wh or 9.3x62, at about 6lb scoped.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baddwuf, you could opt for a Tikka T3 Lite left hand that scales in at 6 3/8 lbs. These rifles are extremely accurate and will set you back a fraction of what a custom will.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out New Ultra Light Arms. Melvin has been making these for a while now. I have a model 24 LH in 30-06 that I think is perfect.

http://www.newultralight.com/

edit: sorry Woodjack beat me to it.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HA! I bought that 338 from Ramrod. It will wake you up for sure. I ended up using three scope rings to keep the scope from working itself backwards. I will be selling it soon because of a shoulder surgery, it doesn't look like anything bigger than an 06 for me from now on. Frowner

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just HAVE to put into this: Super light weight rifles can be made to shoot well...but most shooters can't shoot them well. Too whippy! You need a bit of weight to "settle" down for the shot..No, it dosen't have to come in at 15 lbs, but a compronmise at about 9 lbs in a 338 (w/ scope) will not be too heavy to carry and will be easy to shoot. You want to carry less weight, just skip dessert for a couple weeks.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
HA! I bought that 338 from Ramrod. It will wake you up for sure. I ended up using three scope rings to keep the scope from working itself backwards. I will be selling it soon because of a shoulder surgery

Sorry to hear about the shoulder Frowner

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Would love to get a New Ultralight but about 3 grand now, Is Tikka making a 338 left hand? Saw Brownings web site, new x-boltcomes in at 6lbs 13 oz?

Posts: 173 | Location: Pa | Registered: 02 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At work, I am right now trying to figure out how to make some equipment lighter for a new jet. I have some prototype parts, and we need to get some weight out, or give up.

One way I communicate with other is in terms of cost.

To make a Mauser lighter, I could:
1) At Brownells, the PAWS Aluminum bottom metal for Mausers weighs 3.5 ounces, as opposed to 8.625 ounces for typical steel bottom metal.

It costs $60 and so the weight savings is ~ $12/ ounce.

2) At Brownells has 20 ounce rifle stocks.
I have many Walnut stocks sitting around, with an average weight of 40 ounces.

The 20 ounce stocks cost $200 and so the weight saving is ~ $10/ounce.

What does it all mean?
Make a list of the parts to your project and their weights.
Next to the weights, list your options for change, the cost, and the cost per ounce of change.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ross Seyfried had a light .416 Hoffman some years back, something like 5.75-6.25lbs.

He said it wasn't much fun to shoot, but as a PH he carried a lot more than he shot it.

A light .338 makes even more sense.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Some easy ways to reduce weight that are fairly economical.

1) Have the barrelled re-contoured or if you starting new start with a #2 countour. Saves about 1/4 lb

2) Use a leupold 2.5x8 scope. It is the lighest scope in its class and is usually 3 oz lighter than anything else

3) S&K scope mounts pick you up a few ounces

4) Hogue over molded stock is about the lightest synthetic mass profuced stock at 1 lb 14.5 oz. About a 1/2 lb less than other synthetics.

5) Use a remington 700 action. It is the lightest long action at 2 lbs 7 oz. I don't know what the tikas weigh

Somthing to remember your four rounds of ammo are going to weigh about 5 ounces. The point being the extra 5 ounces increases the overal all weight.

If your ar talking about 6 3/4 scoped with ammo...that's a pretty tall order without spending a lot of money.

If you are talking about 6 3/4 for the rifle only...then when you add in scope, mounts, and ammo you are talking about 1 1/4 pounds.

So now your entire package is at 8lbs. then you have to ask yourself if I didn't jump through hoops and just got a base rifle at 7 1/4 or even 7 1/2...am i really concerned about 3/4 of a pond on an 8 lb rifle.

As David Kaiser at Brownells told me when I was trying to build a light rifle he said the 1/2 is really expensive and you should probably just got to the gym.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
<first pass- just buying lighter stuff)
2# barrel
2.5# action
1.25# stock (20oz)
.25# pad
1.2# scope
.5# rings

7.7# or 123.2 oz... and that's about the lighest you can get without spending about $100 an oz...

OTHER than the cheapest way to get a couple oz, use a 1/4" pad.... it's "free" until it kicks you.. but at this weight, it won't matter call it 1.5oz

and you would to take 16oz out of that? Man, that is going to get spendy

you MIGHT can get 1/2oz per inch off the barrel... call it 1 oz

you could get dale christensen (its been 10 years since i've seen him) to make you a 14oz stock.. the UPCHARGE over the 20 oz will be about 400 .. call it 4 oz...

chop and channel your ring .25 oz - $50 bucks or use millet ittybitty rings

cut the holt crap out of your action .. $500 - MIGHT get 4 oz...

thats 10.25 oz less.. and over 1000 bucks...

and it's 111.95 oz or a hair under 7#...

a remington model 7 in 300 suam, at 6 3/4 is only what, 600 bucks?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I think that Bijou Creek Gunsmithing in Colorado regularly makes what you're looking for.

He uses the Remington Titanium actions, custom fluted barrels, and McMillan Edge stocks.

Making weight won't be the problem.

You might want to look at what this will do to your shoulder though. You'll likely end up with arthritis in your "shooting shoulder" in just a few short years and IMO it just isn't worth it.

Not to mention getting stuck with a rifle that nobody is likely to buy unless it's for a fraction of what you have in it.

You could more than likely get what you need from a 300WSM Alaskan Ti rifle and then if you didn't like it or it was too much on it you could easily sell it and lose no more than a couple hundred.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_r...l_700_alaskan_Ti.asp

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I don't think losing a few pounds is the same as carrying a rifle that weighs a few less pounds. I'm not real obsessed with super light rifles but I do have one in .270 and I like it. My weight can change a few pounds from day to day and I don't notice it but I sure do notice a rifle that is a a bit lighter every time I carry it.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Oh crap... I just noticed that you're looking for a LH rifle.

Ignore this confused one... Roll Eyes

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
If you take off weight from your rifle, you will walk very comfortable all the day until you have to shot it.
If your rifle didnt have brake, a good recoil pad and recoil reducer you will pay with a lot of "PAIN" each time you shot it, you will lose hearing capability due the brake, broke cheaps scopes and in the windy days it will move like a hell, Tikka T3 with a 1-6x42 scope is in the limit weigth for 338 and at good price, I ignored if there are a left model, I have a Tikka varmint B.B. model Cal. 338 W.M. and is very light beside itS bull barrel and heavy scope (Swarovski 6-24x50).
Im talking from my experience with my 6 lbs Remington custom Ultralight (See the photos). Keep in the 8 lbs range. Regards; Guillermo.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote