Find
Notify
Tools

Adams & Bennet Savage replacement barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So,

Are any other Savage owners excited about this? I was about to sell my Savage (hardly seems worth it, considering how much I'll get), but now I'm probably going to hang on to it, in hopes that A & B will offer short action barrels. I've always wanted a 22-250, and $140 seems hard to beat.

Has anyone heard any rumors re: short action (model 10) barrels?

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Multi Vis>
posted
Why dont you E-mail Mr.Potterfield for a time line on those::::MV

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Wake me up when they offer one in 6 BR or 6PPC........ Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Todd,
Sharp Shooters Supply has been offering replacement barrels for a while now. Call them at 419-695-3179.

A&B barrels are nothing special; they are a 'house brand' for Midway.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<SD Handgunner>
posted
I have been contemplating buying a Savage in .270 Winchester. If this happens, I would like to make it into a Switch Barrel Rifle, and the second barrel I would want would be in .22-250. I would want this barrel to be a 24" Sporter Weight Barrel, and to my knowledge the only company to match the factory contour is Lilja.

Lilja offers Ready to Install Savage Barrels as well, in the contour of your choice. While I have never had a Lilja Barrel, a friend has a custom .22-250 with a Lilja Barrel, and it is one of the most accurate Rifles I have ever had the privlege to shoot.

On the other hand, I have heard many, many excellent reports on the Sharp Shooter Supply Savage replacement barrels. For my needs, the Sharp Shooter Supply Savage replacement barrels are not an option, as they are the same contour as Savage's Varmint Barrels, and I am looking for a Sporter Weight Barrel.

Yes if Adams & Bennet were to offer a 24" Sporter Weight Barrel in .22-250, I would really be tempted at the $139.00 price tag.

Larry

PS Sharp Shooter Supply also offers a Barrel Nut Wrench for Savage Rifles as well as Bolt Parts for changing from one size bolt head to another.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just heard back from Larry Potterfield (about 2 minutes after I e-mailed him); if sales are decent, they probably will offer more calibers.

I put in a plug for stainless too. For that matter, I wish the A & B Mauser barrels had a stainless option for sporter contours.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a A@B barrel on a 98 in243 stainless fluted. shoots great for 30 rds then I have to clean it then shoots great well under.5 groups at a 100 with 80gr serrias shot a 1.75 in 3 shot group at 400yds with it.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Pac-Nor offers chambered and threaded Savage barrels as well. www.pac-nor.com sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an A@B barrel on my mauser, a discontinued stainless sporter contour. It took 200 rounds to break in and now shoots well enough(11/4 inch groups) for a sporter 7x57. Surprisingly little fouling buildup.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could I rebarrel a Savage as I would a standard rifle, without the locking ring. Have the barrel seated on the front of the receiver with standard reamer formed headspacing. Maybe improve the appearance of the rifle????

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Parryj: yes. I've seen it done.

Why would you?

Even without the barrel nut, no one will mistake the Savage action for a thing of beauty.

Accurate, strong, simple, reliable, sure. Wasn't designed to be "purdy", it was designed to shoot and be sold for $110.

Don't get me wrong, I am REALLY enthused about this "drop in barrel" development with the Savages. Not in the least because now I don't have to pay a smith $250 to chamber, crown and blue, and wait 6 months for the privilege.

JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote