Find
Notify
Tools

Those Damn 'Safetys' On The New Marlins
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted
I just hate the safety on my Guide Gun.....it's the first lever action that I have owned that has one. Is there a way to take it out or disable it and then cover the unsightly hole? I'm sure that just about everyone that has owned a 'less safe' real lever action would agree that the new safetys are a real nuisance.

Please don't drill me about lawyers and such by removing it. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure can sympathize with you. When I take my Guide Gun to the range, I am pulling the trigger while the safety is on, too often, way more than any of my other rifles. Also when I am working the safety, I have to pause and think, is the safety on with the button sticking out this side or is it that side (may be an age thing).
Some one made a great suggestion a while back, install an "O" ring over the groove in the safety to prevent its use. Can easily be removed if needed.

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TXPO,

I think someone did make a safety "replacement" that looked like slotted screwheads when installed, but I am not sure where/if it is still available.

(Edited to add) Here it is:
http://www.longhunt.com/action_work/action_work.shtml

My brother's Marlin has that safety, and it has cost him a couple deer. He leaves in the "Fire" position all the time now....

Regards and good luck,

Bill

[ 07-01-2003, 22:35: Message edited by: Bill M ]

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill M!!!

I just ordered one!

Now...I haven't really looked at the safety setup closely but can someone tell me the easiest way to take it out? I'm sure ( I hope anyway) the replacement 'plug' will have some directions.

[ 07-02-2003, 00:04: Message edited by: TXPO ]

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or, you can just tighten the little set screw to prevent the safety from moving to the "ON" position.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TXPO,

You are very welcome, glad to help.

Can't help with removal/installation, hopefully the instructions will have the details that you need. I will try to check out my NRA firearms disassembly book tonight, if they have the procedure I'll pass it along.

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TXPO, pop over to the Marlin chat site those boys over there can give you all the break down on the marlins

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Ken said. I did this on my 1895M and it works perfectly. No parts or pieces to buy.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
Ken & Eric,

One of the reasons I want to get rid of it is because it is unsightly! [Mad] Safetys do not belong on lever guns. [Confused]

Thanks for everything guys....I'll check with the Marlin chat room boys when I get back from Africa. I doubt I will get the new part for it before I leave on the 5th.

[ 07-02-2003, 03:45: Message edited by: TXPO ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
TXPO
If you cannot get that part in time just put a little loc-tite on it. In the off safe position of course. [Big Grin] That way it does not accidently get knocked on. Works on Winchesters too.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2,

I'm not taking it with me....I'll have my .375 and a .300 WM....although, I sure wish that I had that guide gun in BC a month ago when going after a black bear in the thick stuff....oh HOW I wanted that Guide Gun!!!
[Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
One has to wonder why they didn't go to a transfer bar safety mechanism like Ruger or the old Iver Johnsons. Those button safeties are too ugly!

<Pfeifer>
posted
Saw an earlier 1970's vintage non-crossbolt safety 1895 Marlin in .45-70 for sale this morning (just like mine!). It has an Ashley Outdoors ghost ring sight and original wood/black plastic buttplate, 12-groove micro-groove barrel. This one has the "fat" forend wood on it as well. Missing Marlin "bulls-eye" from stock - fell out as is common.

Call 208-321-1288 Shooting World in Boise, ID if interested.

Jeff Pfeifer

one of us
posted Hide Post
TXPO
Your right about the Guide Gun, when it is in its niche it is hard to beat [Wink] ....except with a Double. [Big Grin]

Oh, and if I havent already told you, that is a nice Bear. [Cool] [Smile]

[ 07-03-2003, 00:00: Message edited by: N E 450 No2 ]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
Thanks N E 450 No2,

It's my first bear, I have wanted one since I was a kid, but it certainly won't be my last!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXPO:
Safetys do not belong on lever guns. [Confused]

Just so you know, the Marlin GG you own has four safeties!
Hammer half-cock.
Rear firing pin drops down when action is open.
Cross bolt safety (the 'ugly' one).
Trigger block is engaged when lever is lowered.

Another cure is to install a quarter inch O-ring, or C-clip on the CBS button grove. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Gunn:
Just so you know, the Marlin GG you own has four safeties!
Hammer half-cock.
Rear firing pin drops down when action is open.
Cross bolt safety (the 'ugly' one).
Trigger block is engaged when lever is lowered.

[/QB]

Yup! And still none of them are a better saftey than common sense and an empty chamber. [Wink]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote