THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Open sights and barrel band on M70 factory barrel?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Open sights and barrel band on M70 factory barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any thoughts on whether it would be worth the trouble to install a barrel band and open sights on a Winchester classic sporter barrel in 30-06?

Since a reblue would be in order, should I just go ahead and get a new barrel and get the action trued up as well?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
how does it shoot?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38658 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure yet. Just bought it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would do that on any of my rifles and have as a matter of fact...I wouldn't own a big game rifle without iron sights, and prefer the barrel band option or a milled set on the barrel with a rib or quarter rib..

I would have to know how it shot. and was sure I intended to keep it. before I invested any money into it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42012 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No one I know, uses iron sights; ever; they are just for looks, and maybe a feel good think in case your scope fails. When have you ever had a scope fail?
Barrel band sling swivels look cool too.
Worth the trouble? Only your budget can answer that. Will you ever actually use them? No.
But I install a lot of them for clients who want their rifles to look good.
A new Douglas barrel will insure that it shoots super well.

Posts: 17191 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
No one I know, uses iron sights; ever; they are just for looks, and maybe a feel good think in case your scope fails. When have you ever had a scope fail?
Barrel band sling swivels look cool too.
Worth the trouble? Only your budget can answer that. Will you ever actually use them? No.
But I install a lot of them for clients who want their rifles to look good.
A new Douglas barrel will insure that it shoots super well.

tu2

Posts: 41901 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex84:
Any thoughts on whether it would be worth the trouble to install a barrel band and open sights on a Winchester classic sporter barrel in 30-06?

Nope just buy a spare scope.

Posts: 19457 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tex84

If you just like the looks of a banded front sight on a good classic rifle and a lot of us do. A skilled riflesmith can attach the banded front sight with Loctite. Believe me it will be there to stay. The rear sight can be mounted by drilling and tapping. No rebluing or rebarreling required. It may not be needed or justified but every time you take it hunting or to the gun range you will enjoy admiring it.

Do your homework and make sure the guy you hire knows what he is doing.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used receiver sights (peep sights) for years and still do on select lever actions intended for short range hunting. However time has caught up with me and I’m slowly having Tom change some of them to scoped rifles. At 72 years my bifocals have a hard time focusing on the front sight and the target!

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 962 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At 72 years my bifocals have a hard time focusing on the front sight and the target!

Yep do I look through my glasses, through my bifocals or just over the glasses all together.

Posts: 19457 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
I have used receiver sights (peep sights) for years and still do on select lever actions intended for short range hunting. However time has caught up with me and I’m slowly having Tom change some of them to scoped rifles. At 72 years my bifocals have a hard time focusing on the front sight and the target!

If you can see the front sight and the target even at different times, I am impressed.
Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote