New
Find
Notify
Tools

H-S Precision stocks
 Login/Join

<jdllyons>
posted
I am thinking about replacing the stock on my Post-64 Win. 70 Varmint (243).

Does anyone have any experience with H-S Precision products?? According to their website, there is no bedding necessary.

MidwayUSA has the stock I believe I need for $255. Is this a good price?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the price, but I have a couple of their stocks on Remingtons. They work quite well, although I find them just a little clunky. As for bedding, I've bedded the one rifle, and it definately improved things. I plan on doing the other as well. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<JHC10>
posted
I bought a SA Winchester H-S stock today and the instructions include a description for bedding in 2 locations. In the tang area and in the recoil lug area. An envelope with an epoxy compound was included with the instructions.

Jeff

<Bill>
posted
HS Precision is an awful company with the worst customer service!!!!

I had some dealings with them that went a wry in the past, I posted about them.

They gave me and a friend the exact same run around about delivery dates with the same cock and bull story about calling back on numerous occasions (I think it was a lady named Janet).

The Prairie Grass camo looks nothing like it does in the catalog, gaudy and classless at best.

I would bring my business elsewhere to where it is appreciated. There are quite a few other stock companies out there.

Worst part of the whole thing was the stock turned a tack driving Sako into 1.5 minute gun.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a drop in with the bedding block for a rem 700 about three years ago. They surely do run on the heavy side , but it sure was nice to just drop in, screw down and it shot darned well. I did end up putting a thin skim of bedding material between the action and the aluminum bedding block just to see if it helped. It did, but not by much.
I like mine, its a decent stock, but they are a bit heavy.

FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Common sense should tell you something: No two rifle actions are exactly of the same dimensions. No matter what the factory specs are, every receiver is just a little different. Therefore, how can a receiver made by USRAC (for example)match a bedding block made in SD by H-S Precision, and with no fitting, and no additional bedding applied? You'd have to get very lucky to end up with a perfect, stress-free fit, and no, wishful thinking won't make it so.

To be honest, I don't quite swallow the "drop-in" concept for much of anything when it comes to firearms, except maybe for Wilson magazines for a 1911 pistol in .45 ACP.

I've owned several H-S stocks, and they are of good quality, but they are not as good as McMillan's product. I have seen photos of broken H-S stocks that fractured in the forend area - just ahead of the bedding block. I had one Remington 700 .30-06 that shot very well after I screwed it into the H-S stock and torqued it according to H-S's specifications. Unfortunately, I had a couple of others that didn't fit worth a crap (the screw holes didn't match-up correctly, etc., etc.), and I sold them rather than make the drastic alterations that would have been necessary to secure a proper fit.

I think that H-S's concept looks better on paper than it sometimes works out in practice. It you want the best possible fit, have a McMillan stock custom bedded with machined aluminum pillers. It's a much better way to go, and you'll be far happier with the results.

AD

[This message has been edited by allen day (edited 02-10-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one experience with them which was awful and I wouldn't buy anything else from them. I ordered a stock and specified a Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H, and was assured it would be "drop-in" and delivery would be 3-4 weeks.

After 6 weeks without delivery I started calling and alternately was lied to, or not called back as promised. The stock arrived 8-10 weeks after I ordered it.

It was far from "drop-in". The barrel channel wasn't even close. I called them and got someone new who said that the heavy barrel models need to have the barrel channel "relieved" and "opened up". They offered to do this if I sent the stock back, for an additional $40 or so. None of this was mentioned when I called in my order with the specifics of my gun.

The stock came with some half-assed bedding compound that was not nearly as durable as the familiar Accu-glass from Brownells. After spending $$ with a gunsmith locally to relieve the barrel channel to fit the barrel, and "bedding" the action with their putty, the rifle shot WORSE than before.

Their stocks are heavy and clunky, and the gripping areas rather smooth. In a heavy-recoiling calibre the rifle tends to want to fly out of your hands, as their is no gripping surface to speak of.

I wouldn't buy any of their crap. I much prefer either Bell & Carlson, or the the molded style ala Weatherby Synthetic or Browning A-Bolt. The rifle I have with the molded styles, while not particularly "trendy" or expensive, shoot better in general than the aluminum or bedded stocks.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<JohnT>
posted
Have a HS Precision stock for a Sako L691. Supposed to be a drop in & was a drop in. the little lug was a very tight fit so put a little grease on it & used the action screws to pull it into the bedding block.

Seems to have worked. Accuracy has not suffered. Don't know if it has improved or not. Depending on calibre watch out for the weight. I wanted additional weight in mine as it was for a .375 but the bedding block made it 1/2 pound heavier thna the original wood stock on the Sako.

Did not receive any bedding compound with mine. Dealt with the Aussie distributor & they were true to their word on delivery & if it was not a drop in they said send it back. fortunately did not have to do that. With the stock my Sako is now a free floater.

Feel of the stock is quite good. Stock is solid without that hollow feel of some fibreglass stocks. Has a bit of cast off which suits me just fine. IMHO a very well made stock.

Regards,
John