THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Model 101 misfired three times in 50 rounds suddenly

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 101 misfired three times in 50 rounds suddenly
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Win Model 101 shotgun that has misfired 3 time in the last two boxes of shells. The primer has a very small dent in it; the others that did fire look normal.

I need to shoot some shells from a different case (Fed target loads) but wondering if this is normal for an older shotgun. I shoot about 20 boxes a year from this gun for the last five years.

Any suggestions?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be the ammop. I have a problem with Fiocchi 20ga in the lower barrel of my 20ga S'posed

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ammo dirt would be the two most likely.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is usually a broken FP or dirt and residue in the FP channel. Disassemble and clean. Replace parts as necessary.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've replaced several Win 101 firing pins. Some will break and continue to fire erratically.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've checked headspace on a least dozens of shoguns...I find that a bunch will take a NO GO gage...setting you up for misfires...and a tough fix.

On some sxs, I've moved the barrels rearward..Anyway worth a check

Posts: 3631 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had 2 M 101's that broke a firing pin.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned changing the hammer springs. A bad spring can look fine or be collapsed on one end when compressed. They are cheap and pretty easy to change. Normally the bottom barrel (the one most trap shooters use) goes bad first. Wolff has extra power hammer springs that work well for target guns that are used a lot. The only downside is getting them installed. Sometimes involves a lot of grunting and cussing.

I'm about 10 miles from the local trap range. I get a lot of calls from shooters wanting to stop by after having gun trouble at the range. Sometimes the problem is a piece of something (broken part, chunk of wood) floating around inside the action occasionally blocking the hammer. So note anything falling out when removing the stock. Or the broken part might be an important piece. It may be a broken firing pin, but that's unusual. Many times the firing pin tip is eroded on the one barrel used most. Chuck it up in a cordless drill and dress it on the buffing wheel, good to go.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies...I have some homework to do.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned changing the hammer springs. A bad spring can look fine or be collapsed on one end when compressed. They are cheap and pretty easy to change. Normally the bottom barrel (the one most trap shooters use) goes bad first. Wolff has extra power hammer springs that work well for target guns that are used a lot. The only downside is getting them installed. Sometimes involves a lot of grunting and cussing.

I had this exact problem with my 101 (made 1962). It would periodically fail to fire even though the trigger and hammers fell. Dented the firing pin but not enough to set off the shell. Rather than attempt it myself, we sent it to Midwest Gun Works who replaced both springs. Been 100% ever since.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with a Japanese Winchester model 96. Changed firing pins and springs with no improvement, then with the butt stock removed and opening gun slowly until the ejectors kicked, I found that occasionally the lower barrel hammer hadn't caught the sear and the hammer went down as the action was closed.
Now I make sure to open action fully after each shot and problem has gone away.

Posts: 1 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote