New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Remington Clone
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know if it isn't a Mauser or pre64 Mod 70 it ain't in favor.
I bought a Pierce CM receiver and did a custom anyway. I will try to run through what was involved in building it. Dan Lilja made me a CM 1.350 barrel. James Anderson made an octagon after I chambered it in 6.5X47 Lapua. John Pierce did not make a CM bolt handle other than a tactical handle. I bought one of the tactical handles as John uses a different type primary extraction cam on his receivers and bolt handles. The bolt handle was welded on the bolt by Dan Armstrong. Dan cut the threaded part of the handle off and welded one of his handles to the tactical base. Jerome Glimm engraved the bolt knob. I built the scope bases, the under receiver recoil lug, and front octagon sight. I built the trigger guard and rear iron sight , but I missed on the bolt distance centerline on the trigger guard and James didn't like my rear iron sight. He made replacements. He did a hell of a job. It has a PT&G 3 pos safety and a Shilen trigger.
I need to post a picture of the blank. It was a second from Roger Vardy. James Anderson did a wonderful job with it.

I rushed James so much he didn't get the scope on straight. You will be hard press to find a finer builder than James.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super nice!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch

VERRRRY NICE .

Thanks for sharing.

Hal

Posts: 160 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to say that Ken Hurst did the wonderful job of engraving. I shoot this caliber and have some good loads for it. I hope to get to the range with it soon.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
Butch --

Will you adopt me? Big Grin

Absolutely stunning craftsmanship. Kudos to all who contributed to this beauty.

-- Brian

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Butch!!!!

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Saaaawwwweeeeeet!

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Butch.
I own a Pierce action but it is enslaved in a McMillan A5 with big ol' muzzle break on the bbl.

I think the highest compliment I can pay James Anderson is to say that his work reminds me a great deal of Don Klein's from back in the 80's - which is to say that it is just about a perfect execution of the classic American custom sporting rifle.
Others helped to set that mark of course, but Klein is the one that comes to mind when I see Anderson's work.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Very nice Butch! I love how the sights turned out.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who gets credit for the photography?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
Who gets credit for the photography?

James Anderson. I'm sure of it. He's excellent with a camera too. tu2

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I know if it isn't a Mauser or pre64 Mod 70 it ain't in favor. ...
rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try and talk James into bringing it to Reno, or you could.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Butch, I figured this would be a nice rifle from the get-go...
That is VERY NICE!

Enjoy!!!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
thumbdown BUTCH----better sell that ugly thing to me quick before everyone knows you have it!!!!

Seriously----I would love for it to be in my safe! Nicely Done..

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
he didn't get the scope on straight.
Butch

bewildered

I'm looking forward to seeing how well it shoots.
Now I've been bitten by the 6.5X47 bug.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1844 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very very nice Butch. Front sight looks great!
Who did all of the metal finishing and bluing work?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Magnificent job!!
That is a very high class rifle, and I do love the octagon barrel and the iron sights.
Kudos on the build.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kevin,
James did the metal prep and rust Blue.
He can do it all.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
What made that blank a second, I see no fleas on it? The more I look the more I like...and I still like the color of the background in the photos.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The blank kinda looked ugly and if I can find the photo of it I will post it tomorrow. I did have a couple guys say they wouldn't even use it for firewood when they saw the blank. I traded a piece of bottom metal for it.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice! It looks like there is no recoil lug?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I borrowed an idea from a 1970s custom rifle mag. I built a recoil lug the is under the front ring.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
"didn't get the scope on straight" I'm betting you meant the croshairs were not level.

Can you explain?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larrys,
My pictures show the scope turrets in the wrong position. James assured me that I just can't see well. I haven't received the rifle yet.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, that is to purdy to shoot!

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phenomenal. Please post more pictures of the metal work when you get it in.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Butch,

What animals are on the agenda?

I've been shooting the 6.5x47 since last December but it's in a 17.5 lb sniper rifle built by Chris Matthews of Longshot Rifles on a Surgeon 591 SA, Krieger 26" MTU contour barrel and AICS stock. Last month I placed 5th in the Utah State Sniper Shoot. The load I settled on used the 130 gr Berger VLD Hunting with 40.8 gr of H4350 and CCI 450 primers.

You are gonna LOVE this caliber! I love it soo much I had Chris build me a light weight hunter on a Pierce action, Broughton barrel and Mcm Rem 700 Sporter edge filled stock. It got sent via UPS, TODAY! I should get it Wednesday. It won't be the beautiful wood/blue BABE you've got. Should be super accurate!

Will post pics Wednesday or after, in a new thread.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan,
I have been hunting with a 6.5X47Lapua the past 2 years. It is on a model 7 and weighs 7lb. 4oz. with scope. It is a very accurate cartridge and I really like it. I built one of my Grandsons a 6X47Lapua year before last, but they moved to Virginia inorder for my oldest son to go to law school. They have no place to hunt there.
Butch