posted
HFS!

jeffe

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
take a look at the pics

A one inch long crack has been growing rearward on this stainless Model 70 Classic in 375 H&H Mag. This rifle was bought new in 2001.

Anybody seen this happen before? Any way to fix it?

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
That rifle needs to go back to USRAC for replacement...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have sent that rifle back to USRAC at the first hint of a crack anywhere in the action, much less the feed rail. Makes me wonder about the rest of the steel in that particular receiver.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

That rifle needs to go back to USRAC for replacement...

I see things beyond that.....what's that spot that would be behind the lower lug as the bolt is locked in shooting position.....is that a porocity flaw? If so it surely is in a compromising position.

Whatever it is I wouldn't hesitate......return it for replacement immediately.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to check mine right now................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
this condition appeared after the rifle's barrel was fluted by a gunsmith, as best to my knowledge (rifle belongs to a friend)

would that void any warranty work by WInchester?

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to check and see what type of action wrench the Gunsmith who fluted the barrel used. Some of them used improperly could be what broke the rail......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wondering what that spot is just past the feed ramp in the lug resess ,too??

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
That spot isn't in the lug recesses, it's on the 6-o'clock of the coned breech that Model 70s have. Looks like a wear mark from the noses of rounds being fed from the magazine and chambered. Still, questionable and, most likely, the sign of some defect in materials.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks to me like an inside action wrench was used on the action and it was the wrench which cracked the anti-bind rail. When an inside wrench is made for use in the winchester waction, it has to be relieved at the root of the right hand lug so as to avoid this kind of damage. I just don't use an inside wrench on Winchesters. That rail is relatively fragile and I've seen a few broken just like that. It is possible to float silver solder into the crack to repair it. Not an ideal situation but it keeps the piece from breaking right out. Because the rail is so thin, it's possible to solder it without overheating the lug abutment. I have done this in the past. An alternative (and probably better)would be to "V" out the crack and have it TIG welded with ss then clean it up. A welder who is used to working with small parts could do a pretty good job of the welding then a gunsmith could get everthing working again. I think I'm safe in saying you can forget about warranty! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3782 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
thanks for your input guys, especially you Mr. Leeper, I will pass the info along to my buddy.

tb

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say your buddy is totally SOL on the split rail. If the smith used a T-handle style wrench that entered through the rear of the action, this could be caused by him. Surely USRAC will say so. Your friend needs to have a very serious heart to heart talk with the guy who fluted the barrel. He needs to make this right.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I wondering what that spot is just past the feed ramp in the lug resess ,too??

I believe that's the action screw and hole

jeffe

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote