New
Find
Notify
Tools

P17 Enfield question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have the action from a previously "sporterized" P17 Enfield. Although the old barrel came right out the front ring looks out of round. (The wall thickness on this ring seems much thinner than on a Mauser, I guess the strength was in the barrel shank?) Looks like it was bubba'd in it's previous life.

Can this action be brought back into round by annealing, correcting and reheat-treating? Is it even worth it?

thanks,

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in England these things are next to nothing in cost. Indeed in www.holtandcompany.co.uk I have entered lot 3512 in their 18 December Sealed Bid sale; This is a barreled action of an Enfield that the BSA company themselves "sporterised" in the 1950s.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Don't bother.. either use it, or get a rem model 30 as a basis.. that might sound ruder than i meant it to, but its 5:50 here and i've already been up for 3 hours at work

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff's advice should be taken into account. The Enfield CAN be made into a darn fine sporter..and I haven't seen that many 30's hanging from the Christmas tree.

Every stumbler from WW II to the present have thoroughly f....up countless Enfields. be careful!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Happy to use it as is but does the deformation weaken the action? Or is the strength in the barrel shank's size?

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
is it out of round on the outside or the inside? was there grinding done on the ring? the strength I think is in how much barrel thickness you have around the chamber. how about some pics?

enfields don't need annealing and heat treating.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to think it's on the outside as the barrel screws in and out with ease. Might be some ground down pitting. I try to get a pic up later.