Find
Notify
Tools

Spanish Mauser headspace and scope mount
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to put a scope mount on my 7mm Spanish Mauser. I found the
"S&K Style" scope mount for the Small Ring Mausers $110.00 from Treeline Sports.

I’ve also heard that the CDNN Mosin Nagant scope mount will fit the existing mount on the rear sight of my Mauser, if I remove the rear sight.

Anybody have any experience with this?

I’ve not fired this Mauser yet, bought it sight unseen, but it looks low wear If I take it to a gunsmith, what should I expect to pay to have the headspace checked and a scope mount installed?

Thanks, Henry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Henry,
I don't know anything about the add-on mounts, you mentioned. I tried a B-Square "no gunsmithing" mount in the rear sight location on a milsurp 8mm Mauser. Installed it myself and thought it was too flimsy to be reliable.

The headspace check ought to be a courtesy that comes along with drilling and tapping four holes in the receiver rings, two front and two rear, for some Leupold QRW bases, or only three, two front and one rear for a one-piece Redfield-type base ... if the bolt handle and safety will allow a scope.

How is that Spanish Mauser bolt handle?
Are you looking for a forward-mounted, Scout Scope type setup, to fit the original bolt handle and safety, or a standard scope location?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Thanks, RIP. Here is the gun, what do you think?
I didn't want to possibly weaken the old receiver ring with more drilling.

The bolt handle is bent, and I thought hirise rings could clear the safety..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Holes in a 93 wont make the gun any weaker than holes in a 98.

That handle will have to be bent or replaced.

No-drill mounts usually force you to hack up the stock.

Advanced Technology makes a drill and tap bolt handle if you want to save some money.

Any of the above options may very well cost you more than the gun is worth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have installed several of the Adv. Tech drill & tap bolt handles. As a gunsmith, I think they are a great answer to the problem of scope clearance on a low budget project. The kit comes with the drill and the tap. All you need is a hacksaw, file, and drill motor. The kit includes drill and tap.
IMHO nothing tops a scope solidly mounted to the receiver if accuracy is of any importance.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

S&K scope mounts

RIP, does the S&K mounts look as flimsy as the B-K you tried? They sound like a small shop, which I like, and also sell scopes at OK prices.

It looks like this mount might require VERY LARGE eye relief, although this picture from Treeline, supposedly also showing a S&K installation on a 93 Mauser, looks different. How would such large eye relief affect a deer hunting rifle at maybe 100 yards?

Treeline

Looks like the large eye-relief version would require no bolt-bending or stock working.

Anyone used S&K scope mounts on Mausers?