Find
Notify
Tools

500 Jeffery Conversion Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad aka Pill Shooter
posted
I am swaying back towards a 500 Jeffery conversion for my Ruger Safari Magnum. Could someone who has actually done a conversion or had a rifle converted please outline the issues involved. I have already done a search for any info on the 500 Jeffery. At this point what would be most helpful would be a list of the pitfalls to avoid in the process to get a working repeater rather than a single shot.

Thanks diggin

Brad

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The RSM is overlength for a .500 Jeffery. Why not start with a military M98? If you screw it up, you are only out a $150 action, not a $1500 rifle.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've made a few 500Jeff's, but only on the 98 and in one case on a Vector (98 system) Be CERTAIN to get reamers and gages according to 2000 CIP specs. Don't let anyone tell you that the 500 Schuler and 500 Jeff are the same..you'll run into problems trying to interchange. I've found that Horneber brass is the only way to go. Good luck Duane

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

I recommend you start by compiling a list of rifle makers who are experienced with the .500 Jeff. Call and talk with those custom makers and make your decisions from there. Are you planning on building this yourself?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Just go 505 Gibbs with an action that length. The case isn't rebated, so the opening up the feed rails is more straight forward.

But if you just have to have a Jeffrey, first you find a gunsmith that has built a few reliably working models. Then he has to open up the feed rails, make a new magazine, make a new follower, open up the bolt and extractor, and fit a new barrel.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sell the RSM, buy a cz in 500 jeffe, and save tons of trouble.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote