New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lapping Bolt Lugs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What does this accomplish? Allowing the bolt to slide easier?

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The purpose of lapping lugs is to get 100 % contact with each lug. Often it is not the case to start with.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To elaborate on Chic's answer, it is done to achieve full (or at least equal) contact between the rear surface of each locking lug and it's respective recess in the receiver. If the lugs don't bear evenly, recoil can cause the bolt to flex, impairing accuracy.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Chic and Glen's description is what I thought lug lapping was all about.

A buddy just sent me this link today. What is this tool lapping? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

-Steve

P.S. Sorry if I'm shanghai-ing this thread. It's just a bit of cooincidence that got me wondering.

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What is this tool lapping? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

-Steve

That tool is putting pressure on the bolt, holding it rearward and insuring contact of the lugs while lapping. Most of us do this operation on the action w/o barrel. Just make a spring loaded tooling aid that screws into the front of the action. Lapping the lugs while the barrel is in place might lead to headspace problems, later. Just an opinion.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses and that link also helped.

Thanks,

Robert

one of us
posted Hide Post
If your rechambering or rebarrelling you lap lugs first.
On my wildcats I do that. as well as add to safety lug surfaces to have them bear along with bolt lugs, for greatest possible strength.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
What grit and compounds do folks mostly use for this purpose?

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
So then I assume that the wire that was going through the flash hole is trimmed off a some length. I wouldn't think that you'd want it to much beyond the washers. Or am I missing something else. Probably am .

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just use a cut off case with stiff spring inside against bolt face and held in with piece of threaded barrel with plug in it.Lube case, have firing pin and shroud off of bolt.IE bolt turns freely, not fighting firing pin spring.
I use valve grinding compound if there is a lot of difference.IE on isn't touching.After they bear the same,
then polish with fine body sanding compound.If one is bearing much more than other use compound on it first until
there is a show of contact against other.Then use finish on both.Patience is the word.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote