Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kodiak .45/70 to .450 #2 N.E.
 Login/Join

posted
I know this is bringing up an old thread but...I have a D. Pedersoli Kodiak Hammer gun in .45/70 (MK294..)and having read about the .450 No2 N.E. conversion offered up a chambering reamer. I found that the reamer guide wouldn't enter the bore and on measuring found that the lands mike .442". Did the other guns that have been converted have such a tight measurement?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
WOW -- that is a tight bore ..I haven't seen one that restricted.

and, I offer, the 45/120 is close to the same beast, yet 1/3 or 1/4 the cost for brass and dies ... but, alas, not a 450 NE anything

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
45-120 is what mine ended up as years ago(after a stint as a 45-90)
Hand reamed it both times, no issues, just be slow, careful and patient.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes I realise it's tight but I have the ammo the dies and the reamer all in .450 #2 N.E. so I would like to follow it thro' if possible.

posted Hide Post
Have you measured the groove diameter? I would make sure that this dimension is in the .457”-.458” range before going ahead with that particular rifle. The tight bore will up pressures a bit and might cause you some grief when using monolithic bullets. .442” is the correct bore diameter for most 45 caliber pistol and revolver cartridges! If your reamer features removable pilots then you can obtain the correct diameter pilot to fit your tight bore. If your reamer has a solid pilot then you can have it reground to fit your bore, or better still; have it ground to accept removable pilots and fitted with the correct size. This way the reamer will still be usable for bores that are in spec by simply changing pilots. One thing to pay close attention to; the section of the reamer that cuts the throat may also need to be reground so it extends down to the extra small diameter of the lands. Contact your favorite reamer grinder and tell him what your situation is and he should give you a quote. Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool & Gauge has done this sort of work for me.

Posts: 57 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
using monolithic bullets
thumbdown shame

not in a DR

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack Huntington does this conversion a LOT. Give him a ring at Jack Huntington Advanced Gunsmithing.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
I wasn't intending to load monolithics, just Speer 400 gr flat points (don't know if they still make them but I have quite a few) and use them on driven boar. Have e-mailed Jack Huntington, maybe he will be kind enough to reply. Will check the groove diameter. In any event the job has to be right because here in England the Proof House tries to blow your gun up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack's e mail is not available to him. Long story. You will have to call him at 530-268-6877, 10am-6pm Pacific time. The Pedersoli stock design transmits recoil pretty good to the shooter. 500's at 2150 kick pretty hard. If I recall his regulated fine without cracking the barrels for regulation.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote