Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting 333 Jeffery on Gunbroker
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
Here's an interesting 333 Jeffery on Gunbroker. For $2500, the rifle might be a buy.
(It's not mine and I have no idea about the seller)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89836470

The stock style is sort of a mis-match for the metal but I could live with it considering the price.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the barreled action is probably worth the minimum.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Yeah, the barreled action is probably worth the minimum.

I thought the same thing. Then started calculating the cost of a Jeffery styled restocking job, and . . .

Still, it's tempting.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I handled a original 333 jeffery at little johns. That stock wood is nice but that pattern just "aint" right.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well, i think it's a hopeless mess .. and a crying shame
a 338 RUM on a very traditional stock would be less of a money pit..

unless someone had the proper stock, its basically for a J code 327 chevy motor (small journal) in a 78 monte carlo ... if you don't have a 68 or 69 camaro to put the motor in....

in other words, its a shame, but i don't think it worth the minimum unless you have the stock.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
It's a good looking piece of wood and appears to be good work, but the style is just so wrong for the metal. There appears to be plenty of wood on the stock. It looks like someone could reshape this stock a bit and make it look better but it'll never be exactly right.

One other thing that bothers me is the amount of metal taken out of the rear bridge (on the right side). I've seen others done this way and I'm sure it's safe but it doesn't look good to me at all.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
If the barreled action is so desirable, just get a new, old-fashioned stock made for it.

I could never see how it could make much difference when these actions are cut away back by the bolt handle, etc. The whole safety issue surrounds the bolt sitting up there in the front ring. All of the rest of the action is there just to handle the bolt movement and have something to screw into to keep the rest of the action and barrel in place, feeding rounds from the mag, etc.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, pardon my "classical ignorance", but what is the objection to the stock? It looks like it fits well, and does look like it extends a bit further down the barrel than other Jeffery rifles...or WR for that matter. But it DOES look nice and might be a reasonable classic piece.

Comments?

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well...you all were TOO SLOW in responding so I just had to buy it. Spoke with the gent who is the owner and got a bit of history on it....very nice. I'll let you all know when she gets to her new home.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
...One other thing that bothers me is the amount of metal taken out of the rear bridge (on the right side). I've seen others done this way and I'm sure it's safe but it doesn't look good to me at all.

I dont exactly understand what the concern is,ie; how could such removal make it unsafe in anyway?.
maybe your just talking your preferences to asthetics, but you do mention the subject of safety for some reason, if there is reason why such modification would effect things in some way, Id like to know what they be, simply for educational purposes.
m70 has portion of rear bridge removed for 375hh,Kimber rear bridges are rather short, remModel 7 even shorter, not that I like them that short.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Re-read what you quoted. Wink

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure it's safe but it doesn't look good to me at all.

Forrest said he was sure it was safe he just didn't like the looks.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok fair enough, I just didnt understand why anyone would think that it would be unsafe, to warrant a statement saying I think its still safe after the mod...if it by some chance it put some peoples safety doubting minds at ease, then its a good thing....mausers rule!
WJ out.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I only mentioned "safety" because almost every time someone mentions removing metal from an action, the issue of safety seems to follow. Back in the day, lots and lots of Mausers had the rear bridge cut back just like this one to allow for longer than standard cartridges. And just like this one, most of them are still going strong. For me it's purely a matter of cosmetics - I prefer a less radical opening of the action.

Garby, the rifle is very handsome and worth every penny you paid (especially considering the brass, dies, etc.). All the talk about the stock is just idle banter about styling. Some of us gossip about rifle styling the way our wives might critique who wore what on the red carpet at the Academy Awards.

The stock on this rifle is mostly American Classic; the swept cheekpiece, the longer forearm and the high straight comb. The blank is very handsome and the stock well executed, it just looks a little out of place on original Jeffery Mauser metal work. The rifle looks great and not every rifle needs to look like a "period piece" or reproduction. I hope you get a lot of use and enjoyment out of this piece of history. I'm jealous. Please keep us posted once you get the rifle and start working up loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous rifle and a steal at the price.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Garby you got a great looking rifle!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gents. Forrest, I thought that might be the case, but sometimes one (read me) can't see the obvious so I thought I'd ask. I have an unhealthy ($$$$$) fascination with the old English bolt guns and the odd calibers. I probably should burn John Taylor's book. That said, I spoke with the current owner of the rifle prior to buying it and he had some good stories to tell. The rifle has been to Africa quite a few times. He actually purchased it from the gunshop that Jack O'Connor used to visit quite often in Idaho (that's where this guy lives). The gent who took it to Africa has passed (some time back it seems) and it ended up at the gun shop where this guy bought it and then had it re-stocked. He was a shooter more than a collector (much as I am) but once he got all things put together, he suffered a stroke and is just now getting back in working order. This is one of a few items he sold off to get things "simpler". He was very nice and described the gun in detail prior to my purchase.
Yes, I'm happy with the $$ paid and it does look very nice.
I will post some rifle and target pics once she goes to the range.

Forrest, Suzi and I enjoyed meeting you in Dallas.

Thanks, again, to all.....I'll keep you all informed to how she does.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
ALF....as soon as I get it I will do that. Thanks.....and thanks, again, for the load data.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
ALF...to say that you seem to know your rifles would be a terrible understatement. Rest assured that as soon as it arrives, I will be letting your know EVERY little marking on the rifle for your much-appreciated interpretation.
Thanks.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
A dollar late and a dollar short..I jumped to buy it and it was sold..Guess while I was at Dallas...

There was enough wood left to reshape the stock I think, or I would have used my Jefferys or Holland pattern and restocked it myself and put the stock on another rifle. It was a doable deal IMO.

Nice gun and worth salvageing IMO.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I think I'm going to settle on a good 300 gr Woodleigh load and then take it to Africa and shoot something with it.....see if I concur with 'ol Mr. Taylor.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC