New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mark Stratton Book
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Disclaimer, I'm in no way connected to Mr. Stratton.
I'm gonna have to get a copy of this book too. A while back Mr. Stratton, in response to a question I asked on the board, sent me some information and later answered my questions about it too. Mighty nice to have someone of his talent share his knowledge and advice with you out of the goodness of their heart. Hope he sells every one he printed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue,

I'm glad you liked the book. It took a lot of time to putting together. I tried to show how I put together custom barreled actions. This is a book of precision machining for gunsmiths and gun builders.

When I palced the order with the printer, I had no idea how many copies would sell. I bought a 100 copies.

If you would like a copy, the cost is $75.00 plus $4 shipping. Please mail it to:

Mark Stratton Gunmaker

PO Box 813

Mukilteo, Washington 98275

If you want to use a Visa or MasterCard call me at:

425-745-8309

I hope you all enjoy the book. There isn't anything like it on the market.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I can imagine it took a lot of time and effort. It would take me a long time to put all I know into book form and I don't know much!
Where the heck is Mukilteo? Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right next to where Boeing asembles planes in Everett -- just north of Seattle.

Posts: 22571 | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,

It all started when I wrote my first article for the Gunmaker Guild, along with buying a digital camera. For years, everytime I machine something interesting I took a photo for use sometime down the road in an article. The problem was that I didn't write an article about everything I took a photo of. At a Gunmakers Guild Show a few years ago I had a collection of photos that hadn't been published and there was a lot of interest. Here's how I look at the custom rifle trade. If you don't tell someone how you machine a quarter rib, it dies with you. Up until this year I taught summer classes at Trinidad State. The book cover what I tried to teach in class. I had all the tooling, jigs and fixtures in class with me. The students are the people who got me to write this book. The CD with the book has 224 digital photos of machine setup and tooling.

Bill, Mukilteo is 30 miles north of Seattle on the Puget Sound.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soooooo...about that 'Washington group'...??? must be The Western Washington Group. I live on the east side above Spokane and Mark informed me it'll be $79!!!!! I think I'm gonna go pout

I've gotten information from Mark before at the Guild show etc. He has always been more than willing to answer my questions and help when possible. I'm thinkin' this book is going to be an excellent value at $75 =$4 s&h. Thanks for the call Mark, and don't forget the signature in mine please. (he informed me on the phone that was only another $100)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark,

I gave up doing WAC shows about 6 years ago and don't plan on returning. I receive the book from the printer 2 weeks ago and as they say, "It's selling like hot cakes". At this point mail order works the best for me. If you live in the Puget Sound area, call first, stop by and take a look.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
The book is a gem and has most of Mark's great articles and fixtures in it. With my crude english skills, I was asked to help proof read the book and offer corrections so I got to see it some time ago. It is well worth the money and they will not last long. Mine is on my shelf thanks to Mark.

I have been priviledged to take 3 classes from Mark at Trinidad SJC. You get to get the cream of his experience at those work packed weeks in the shop. He always came back in the evening and most students worked until 9 or 9:30 each night. Unfortunately he has "retired" from teaching. I do want to thank Mark for giving as much as he does and sharing his skills.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I should pay less cause I have less.

Spoken like a true liberal

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
A short note to say that I am another satisfied reader.

The book is well worth the money if you are interested in custom gun building, whether you are a metalsmith or not.

Mark writes the book with an easy to read style that explains, in detail, the processes to build quarter ribs, custom scope bases, etc. Along with pictures that put the writing into context.

Thanks Mark, for a great book.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Do you have a table at the comming up Monroe or Puyallup gun shows where I can leaf through before buying?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a copy , in excellent condition , of The Modern Gunsmith by Howe. I might decide to sell it but need to know it's value.