Notify
Tools

A MOST Stupidly Designed Rifle??!!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Taking complications to extremes

I was given a Jakele rifle.

It is a take down, straight pull action.

Apparently designed by an ex Blaser man!

If you look carefully, you will see a second trigger behind the trigger guard.

One needs two fingers to fire this rifle.

One to pull the secondary trigger, at the same time another finger to pull the trigger!

Who the hell has such a brainless idea?? Mad

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67376 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right and I’m pretty sure one could break the “safety” thing off making the rifle useless for its intended purpose. It might turn out to be accurate, but I wouldn’t have one.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2814 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When one is to stupide to handle a normal rifle responsible.

I have had students tell me they had to carry their defensive pistols with a empty chamber and safety on.

Because one has to be absolutely, double positive, all knowing that one will never ever 5 times over. That it will not fire a round by its self.

Perfect for the guys that incest they you do not carry with a round chambered.

Even some of them would not carry a round chambered in this rifle.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why make it "better" when you can make it "different" A condition not unknown in the gun world

Posts: 3504 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Because it was designed by a German who wanted to eliminate accidental firing of the rifle. (It its a manual cocker, for each shot, just like that other rifle every AR member loves to hate)
Not something any of us need, or want. But different, and sometimes stupid, might be the impetus for something good. Probably not this time, but I would never stifle innovation; the rifle buying market will judge.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Might as well chamber it in 6.5 Manbun and go for the trifecta.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It IS fairly stupid. It is a solution to a problem I didn't even know existed. I do have an old Lee Enfield which has no safety. I generally carry it on the half-cock position, and cock it before the shot, so kind of the same thing. I literally pulled this rifle out of the garbage thirty years ago. Turned out the bore was shiny and bright, and the thing was very accurate. I stuck a Williams peep sight on it and it is one of my favorite rifles for rough use.
I have a single shot Sako, which I built into a lightweight hunting rifle and I have toyed with the idea of trying to make a de-cocking system for it, because I don't like the safety on the Canjar trigger. So far, I have not been able to get enthused enough to do it. Laziness, I suppose! Maybe it's just a dumb idea. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3570 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It its a manual cocker, for each shot, just like that other rifle every AR member loves to hate)

You mean like most outside hammer fired single shots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Not only is it an answer to a non-existent problem, but it teaches complacency in that the shooter doesn't have to be concerned/worry about the rifle being safe. Next, we'll hear that one needn't worry about where it's pointed because it's inherently safe.

Made by Jakele--should be named "Jackleg".

Dave Manson

Posts: 690 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The original Lee (a Scot), (designed in the US) originally produced by Sharps, and later, Remington, do have a safety; the half cock position. It was Enfield that installed the side thumb safety, and the two piece stock design.
The rifle that has no safety at all is the French Lebel and Berthier; they just carried them unloaded. Problem solved.
How about the Glock pistol? Safety is, don't pull the trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The U.S. companies as well as others made many,many .22 RF rifles that had to be cocked first and didn't have any other manual safety.

Hip

Posts: 1866 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Designed by a gun control/ gun safety advocate.

Posts: 697 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The TC single shot rifle had some type of a double safety.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AS were some DGR doubles....

Posts: 3504 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
One of the dumbest things I have ever seen on a rifle.

As Jeff Cooper used to say, it's a solution for a non-existent problem.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13472 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Because it was designed by a German who wanted to eliminate accidental firing of the rifle. (It its a manual cocker, for each shot, just like that other rifle every AR member loves to hate)
Not something any of us need, or want. But different, and sometimes stupid, might be the impetus for something good. Probably not this time, but I would never stifle innovation; the rifle buying market will judge.

I would never call this INNOVATION.

This is what is really called RETARDATION!

Posts: 67376 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well at least they continued the tradition of producing some 'fugly' rifles.

You Americans shouldn't laugh too loud either, look at some of the rifles you produce with that stupid blade in the centre of the trigger shoe that has to be pulled back flush with the shoe before the trigger releases. Stops nincompoops strumming the trigger and having an AD when they can't keep their finger out of the trigger guard and off the side of the trigger. Of course the States culture of suing all and sundry at the drop of a hat doesn't help either.

I neutralised the blades in my sons and my Marlin rifle trigger shoes so we have a perfectly normal operating triggers now. No nincompoops in our neck of the woods Big Grin

Posts: 3877 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Innoovation just means a new idea, not necessarily a good idea. So, of course, it is an innovation. Just one you don't like.
As the the blade on the trigger, those do have a function, and are not there just for looks, or to annoy you. They are a safety feature in case you drop the rifle. They are easy to ignore; I just got a Savage 110 338 lap, with one, and I do not notice it. And the trigger pull is like 8 ounces. Not in the same category at all, as the OP rifle. It is not a cocker and can barely be seen. And makes triggers cheaper to make. What about the Glock? Those work fine.
Back to the OP issue; sure, this cocker/safety/whatever it is, is dumb and ugly. But I assume it works as designed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What’s worse than an engineer? A German one.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
How light is the cocking lever pull? The lever doesn't click and stay in place. I think you must hold it while you touch off a round. Scary deal.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5172 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:

Ywah...The sysem 98 is a good example....????

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
How light is the cocking lever pull? The lever doesn't click and stay in place. I think you must hold it while you touch off a round. Scary deal.

Quite heavy!

I am having fun with this.

The rifle is in our shooting room.

Every likes to handle it.

No one has been able to fire it with me telling them how!

And with exception, every says “how stupid is this?” clap

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not the first squeeze cocking firearm to come out of Germany. Anyone remember the HK P7? Squeeze cocker. Another dumb innovation; these I fired back when they came out. At least once you cocked/squeezed it, you only had to do it once as long as you held it back.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Tom,
you cocker grip forgot to mention that the p7 cocker grip was HEAVY -- i don't usually hold on to pistols that dang hard/heavy a grip

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38601 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right; they require 13 pounds to cock, and two pounds to hold the grip in. So, yes, you do have to keep a grip on it for sure. Another feature is, if you pull the grip and the trigger at the same time, it will fire.
It was said that if you can squeeze a lemon you can cock a P7. I don't squeeze lemons either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the '98 system was perfect for the time period with given materials. The over-engineering was done by Britain and the US with the P14/M17 Enfield and the Springfield to skirt patent infringement. If you doubt, look at the amount of steel removed from M17's to remove un-necessary metal.

quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:

Ywah...The sysem 98 is a good example....????

Posts: 3704 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not the first squeeze cocking firearm to come out of Germany. Anyone remember the HK P7? Squeeze cocker. Another dumb innovation; these I fired back when they came out. At least once you cocked/squeezed it, you only had to do it once as long as you held it back.

Another weird one was the semi auto VP70Z. WTF??
You can always tell a German... you just can't tell him much!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
seriously looks like a cockspur on the trigger guard!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38601 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, just for interest, does it make any sound when you pull the cocking lever?

Posts: 469 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Connan:
Saeed, just for interest, does it make any sound when you pull the cocking lever?

I just tried it.

There is no click as such.

But it is a long pull to disengage the safety so the trigger can fire.

There is a definite sound as this secondary “trigger” hits the stop.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Squeeze cocking pistols are everywhere. My 911 R1 is one of them. So smooth don't even know it has one.
This goofy invention probably won't go down as one their best. Stupid? Yeah. showing off? I'm sure.
As for German inventions. Oh yeah ....Total morons (sarc.)

A sample of their incompetance.

Fockers for real.

Posts: 5172 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The weird thing to me is that the HK P7s now sell for $3-4,000?!?

Crazy.

I'd rather have a Tokarev for $300.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I ordered my P7 from a store in downtown NYC a few blocks from city hall and 1 Police Plz.

The store was Zirmos on Warren St. When I went to pick it up there were a few guys in the back speaking Hebrew. I ask Zirmo what was going on, he said, "Oh, they're Mossad".

PS. I think it was $900 with the tax. this was in the late 80's.

Posts: 6433 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you hung on to that one and didn't shoot it lights out.

There are many of my buys and close ones that I could say that about.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
One positive thing about it.

The bolt actually has locking lugs.

Unlike the stupid, funny looking expanding chuck on the Blaser!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What is a 911 R1?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Remington

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, you might as well hunt with an H&R single shot!

Posts: 3704 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:but I would never stifle innovation; the rifle buying market will judge.

Sorry, but I can't keep sitting on my hands here.

I am really struggling to reconcile this quoted comment with your attitude on such things as silencers and every single new caliber that comes down the pike?

Posts: 469 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote