Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 788 30-30 barrel options
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted
I picked up a 788 in 30-30 to play around with cast bullets. It was a pawn shop special so I got it cheap but... it looks like the barrel was never cleaned and it's got some minor pitting. It throws jacketed slugs just fine (1"@100yds) but doesn't like cast so well.

I've only got $350 into the gun and being a beater 788, I'm hesitant to put $200+ into a new barrel and $200 getting it fitted.

I've seen a few Savage takeoff barrels for $75-100 and understand the 788 and Savage 110 threads are pretty close.

Question is, can a Savage barrel be shortened from the chamber end and still fit the 788 action (with new threads & 30-30 chamber)?

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Posts: 1142 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I can't answer your questions and you asked for suggestions.

Trade me your rifle! dancing

I've been wanting to find a .30-30 788 so I could build a .30-30 AI on a bolt action. I have no problem putting a new barrel on it. I'll throw in an H&R Handi in .30-30 with some cash so you can still play with cast bullets in a .30-30. With the 788 you need to be running pointy bullets anyway. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you truly clean ALL of the jacket fouling out of the barrel before you fired cast? If not, then this might be the real problem for your inaccuracy with cast bullets. Get your barrel warm by firing a few rounds and then clean it with JB bore shine. Follow the directions on the can. It might take some serious time to get it clean, but I would almost bet your accuracy will improve.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The problem that you will have using a Savage barrel is that because the threads are the same as the 788's there is no shoulder to pinch the recoil lug. The 788 barrel is larger in diameter ahead of the threads to make the shoulder necessary to retain the recoil lug.

You could use the Savage barrel if you use the recoil lug and barrel nut off the Savage instead of the Remington lug.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
The barrels have the same 20 TPI PITCH but not the same size shank...

788 1" x 20 TPI
Savage 1.050" x 20 TPI

Plus a different thread length requirement.

A good machinist could set-up, re-engage the Savage threads and cut them to fit, but it would be cheaper just to have a barrel blank cut and threaded for the 788 receiver in the first place.

I think the bolt for the 30-30 is slightly different than for a 243/308 case family because of the rim...not completely sure.

If it shoots jacketed OK I would suspect you just haven't found the right case bullet or the right load yet...keep trying.

The 788 action is a very good, strong action, but is does have a few problems like being restricted to magazine length cartridge OAL. It is as strong or stronger than the 340 Savage in 30-30 and I've seen that one jacked all the heck after 30-30AI'zing.

But you CAN use pointed bullets and rechambering to the AI version will give you a bit more umph and you can also increase the pressure a bit so you can fairly close to 300 Savage ballistics.

You still will be out a bit of money...talk to a gunsmith to see just what you can actually do safely and cheaply. Reamer rental is 50 bucks and you can hand ream a 30-30AI if you're careful by pulling the barrel and clamping it in a vice...lots of choices.

Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Save your money, just shoot jacketed bullets...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The value of 788's increases; the .30-30 and .44 magnum versions are scarcer than the other chamberings... food for thought.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might consider having Jesse Ocumpaugh at JES Rifle Reboring, in Cottage Grove, OR,rebore and rechamber your 30/30 barrel to 35-30/30 for about $200. Or, you could go to the 356 Win for more power, since the 788 is a strong action.

www.35caliber.com

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you paid 350 and hate it? i'll give you 250, ,to offset your 400 more into it...i am sure one of my grandkids will shoot it smooth

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can top that! I will give you what you PAID FOR IT.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Taylorce1, pm sent. Thanks for the rest of the info guys. Looks like a Savage barrel is more trouble than it's worth. It's not time to throw in the towel and sell the thing yet or go with a rebore as I have lots of 30cal molds and sizers.

Jeffe, who said I hate the rifle? We'd both be better off if you spent your $250 at a charm school Roll Eyes.

FYI, I've gotten cast bullets down to about 1.25moa so they're getting close. The barrel has already been fire lapped (Beartooth Bullets Method) so I doubt it's going to get any smoother. It has a few smaller rust pits that aren't going to "shoot smooth". Guess I'll go back to lurking and see if something pops up. No hurry...

Posts: 1142 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote