New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 44 mag carbine Will it hold up
 Login/Join

<Dyno>
posted
I am looking at a Ruger Deerfield 44mag.
I shoot a good many 44 mag rounds in pistols and was wondering if the Ruger carbine would hold up under heavy usage . I would like to hear from anyone that uses this carbine.
I would be shooting 240 gr. jsp with 22gr.of H110 with std primer.
Thanks,Dyno

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with that EXACT Ruger model but I've had the original .44 mag Ruger carbine and currently own a M77-44 Ruger.
All Ruger's I've seen were strong and pretty well put together.

The problem with Ruger's now days is their accuracy and quality control has gone to hell. You will find guys who recently purchased Ruger rifles howling all over this website...me included. Ruger is in some sort of serious decline or just coasting on their name

Whatever, there are better .44 mag rifles to be had. Think twice about this purchase is my advice.

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dyno>
posted

Whatever, there are better .44 mag rifles to be had. Think twice about this purchase is my advice.

Would you care to mention the rifles that you think are a better choice.

Thanks,Dyno

posted Hide Post
Dyno,

The most accurate 44 mag rifle I've owned is a new Ruger model 77. In the past I owned a ruger semi auto, winchester lever and a remington 788 this new ruger will shoot under 1 inch groups with handloads most of the others shot 2-4 inch groups. My load is 23.5 grains of 296 with a nosler 240 gr bullet.

Posts: 21 | Location: Las Vegas NV | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Dyno>
posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RK Deadeye:
[B]Dyno,

Deadeye,
Thanks for the info on the rifle and the load,I will look into the new Ruger right away.

Best , Dyno

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a marlin 1894p .44 rem mag and it shoots well.It has a 16 1/4 inch barrel and is great for chasing stuff off the back of the ute.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
RK
That 788 wouldn't shoot? Never seen one but wish I had one. Have had three 788's and know several others that have them, they all shoot way better than what they cost.

posted Hide Post
Dan,
The 788 was second best around 2 inch groups. Have owned two other 788 both in 243 they were very accurate one would stay at .6 with handloads this was the short barreled version.

Posts: 21 | Location: Las Vegas NV | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an older ruger 44 mag semi-auto rifle that is like new.

It shoots a very nice 8 inch group at 100 yards.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't buy it, it won't be reliable, it won't group well, and Ruger will not help you!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
RK'
2" groups with a .44@100 yds. is great in my book. Have a friend that cleaned everybody at the Sat. semi-formal benchrest shoot with his 18" bbl 788 back in the 80's. It was in the new( at the time) 7/08. My first 788 was in .223 and it would shoot in the .5's with cheap bullets like Hornady SX's.

<eldeguello>
posted
What's happened to Ruger? Has ol' Bill relinquished that much control over what's going on there? Too bad!!

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I don't personally have one of the Ruger carbines but I did sell a neighbor one about twenty years ago. He used it every year for deer and never had a harsh word to say about its performance. I know they made minor changes to the new Carbine.

I personally have one of the Marlin carbines that I've had for about ten years. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Did lots of cowboy shoots with it and never had a problem. It didn't like to feed semi-wadcutters but fed factory ammo and flatnose reloads flawlessly. Accuracy even with cast bullets in the micro groove barrel is outstanding.

-M

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote