One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Concho42:
quote:
Phase converter and no 3-phase????
...armatures for sure.

I have several Phase converters ! 3 phase would have cost the price my shop to have it installed where I live in rural america ! so now I know all the machine work I do is inferior , below standards,a junk yard shop ! Thanks I am inlightened !

That's kinda what I was getting at.

I have a very good friend and mentor about forty miles north of me. His shop is an out building on his property. Very nice set up. Fully finished walls (drywall and paint) fully insulated for sound absorption. And one big ass Rotary phase converter to run nearly a Half million dollars worth of machinery. Two small CNC's (Knee mills) And two Haas VF3's along with surface grinders and a manual lathe and mill. He's got a very well set up shop.
The reason for the RPC?? He in a residential area of north San diego County in CA. and if the City found out exactly what it is he does in his "extra garage" they'y have a fit and shut him down. Definitely not an amateur. Oh and his little shop That only employ's him make's a cool 250K plus every year.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All Ive seen was the previews for that show. Looked like a bunch of idiots at that shop.

That show American Chopper is a pathetic also. That Pual Jr,,, man what a jack ass worthless, spoiled, arrogant, whining, puke that boy is.

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad I missed it.
Would not want to ride a bike from OCC.
Jesse James, no problem.
Chip Foose, another class act.
The biggest cut in our shop is"Did you used to work at OCC?"

Posts: 440 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
quote:
Originally posted by Concho42:
quote:
Phase converter and no 3-phase????
...armatures for sure.

I have several Phase converters ! 3 phase would have cost the price my shop to have it installed where I live in rural america ! so now I know all the machine work I do is inferior , below standards,a junk yard shop ! Thanks I am inlightened !

That's kinda what I was getting at.

I have a very good friend and mentor about forty miles north of me. His shop is an out building on his property. Very nice set up. Fully finished walls (drywall and paint) fully insulated for sound absorption. And one big ass Rotary phase converter to run nearly a Half million dollars worth of machinery. Two small CNC's (Knee mills) And two Haas VF3's along with surface grinders and a manual lathe and mill. He's got a very well set up shop.
The reason for the RPC?? He in a residential area of north San diego County in CA. and if the City found out exactly what it is he does in his "extra garage" they'y have a fit and shut him down. Definitely not an amateur. Oh and his little shop That only employ's him make's a cool 250K plus every year.

....Like I said "I should not have spoken"

You have the floor.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The biggest cut in our shop is"Did you used to work at OCC?"

rotflmo animal rotflmo animal

Good one ! tu2

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
In ours it's "What are you?? An engineer!!!!?"

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
In ours it's "What are you?? An engineer!!!!?"

rotflmo

I love that! Only engineers, software developers, and other people educated beyond their intelligence can design somehting that is more complex, less efficient, and more difficult to use and then call it an upgrade.

I have not seen the show nor will i go out of my way to see it. Looked like a bunch of hype that i'm not interested in. I did have someone ask me in my shop the other day if i saw it. Apparently some people love it.

Westpac, I love the comment about a non-profit shop! I feel mine is the same way! SEMPER FI

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guncurtis2:
Westpac, I love the comment about a non-profit shop! I feel mine is the same way! SEMPER FI

I'm thinking of applying for 501 C4 status. Big Grin Semper fi!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love that! Only engineers, software developers, and other people educated beyond their intelligence can design somehting that is more complex, less efficient, and more difficult to use and then call it an upgrade.

Couldn't agree more, but I might exchange the word "intelligence" with "experience....?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1 Shot Hunter:
quote:

Couldn't agree more, but I might exchange the word "intelligence" with "experience....?"

ehh... perhaps

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:

I'm thinking of applying for 501 C4 status. Big Grin Semper fi!

yuck Good one

Curtis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have some really GREAT engineers where I work. Both degreed and without degrees..
Some of them helped on the fuel pumps for the Saturn V engines....

Fuel pump for an engine???? Big deal right.........
<
<
<
<
<
<
,,,,,,,,,,55,000 HP Per Engine.......
<
......A quarter of a Million HP just to pump fuel!!!!!
Anyway, these engineers NEVER talk down to you or say"I'm an engineer!"
One of the "also ran" type tried that one time with an old phart that was trying to help him....
"I'm a degreed engineer!"
Old Phart never missed a beat:
"Okay, I'll talk real slow and draw pictures............"
The young one had the God given sense NOT to try for a comeback.

Posts: 440 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched the 2 shows last nite I had saved.
I totally agree on the point that nothing was mentioned about needing any BATF involvment with the shotgun suppressor. The 'boss' did make one short comment at the end of the second show about ATF approval for the 8(?) MasterKey guns for the local Keystone Squad.

A little explanation about the quick handshake purchase of the AR w/'grenade launcher' would have been good too.
What it actually is, what is legal, what isn't, etc.

Right now is especially not a good time for uninformed people to form an opinion about things like this. And they will,,'cause they saw it on TV'.

The shop looked more like an auto repair & chopshop than any gunshop to me. I wasn't aware I was missing out on not having cutoff wheels ,disc grinders (noisy buggers!)and T-handle allen wrenches around.
I admit the AR,AK,Saiga,stuff isn't in my interest area. Gunsmithing those arms I see as generally more of an erector set challange than what I'm in to. But everyone has their own thing and there certainly is a big market for the stuff,, no denying that.

The show could be interesting to watch if it weren't for the drama and the absolutely weird characters within. But everyone likes to see guns shot & stuff blow up I guess.

I don't think overall it's going to do the gun community any good though.

Many (most?) here might better like to see some insight into something like the G&H operation, the factory custom shops or other such gunsmithing setups,,here or abroad.

But them going with what they did was aimed right at the younger gun crowd & ratings. Not the older fudds!
JMHO of course.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Still nothing cutting edge last night. I did see them useing a pant-o-graph I liked that.
I still use the one in our shop from time to time....but

The 5/8" 4 flute E.M. in the 3/4" jacobs chuck milling....

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1 Shot Hunter:
quote:

That exactly correct. I'know I'm getting long in the tooth when the engineers I work with are much younger then me. And it's that lack of experience that keeps them form being great

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:

The 5/8" 4 flute E.M. in the 3/4" jacobs chuck milling....

Now that's when you can say they are Amateur.
I caught the boss's son doing that crap years ago in a job shop I worked at. Told him flat out that a good way to foul up a chuck and destroy an endmill.
Problem is now that it was on TV there will be a hand full of people out there doing that in their garage on their cheep chinese mill drill combo

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
craigster: IMO, the program did nothing to flatter the firearms community. I really think it did the exact opposite. Maybe that's exactly what the Discovery Channel wanted to do.

My opinion too, although I watched only about 5 minutes of it, and won't be tuning in again.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Caught the episode last night where they built a M2 Browning. Instead of being nmaed "Red Jacket" they should be call "Red Neck". I must admit, seeing the 87 year old MOH recipient firing his flam thrower was one of the neatest things I've ever seen on TV.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The girl is what we called a six-pack beauty queen.

At least two twelve packs for me! Yikes!!!!!

quote:
I must admit, seeing the 87 year old MOH recipient firing his flam thrower was one of the neatest things I've ever seen on TV.

The old fellow looked like he was having a ball. And they all treaqted him with the respect he was due.

Maybe they arn't quite the goobers they appear.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote