New
Find
Notify
Tools

FYI: Discovery channel gunsmith show
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
FYI... For you cable viewing entertainment...

Discovery channel will air a new show about a A Baton Rouge La. Gunsmith tonight.

Schedule:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-sc....16332.26257.40187.2

Posts: 163 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I think he's a bit more than a gunsmith.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I never heard of "RedJacket firearms" in Baton Rouge. I will be watching to find out though.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first two episodes were interesting and fun to watch.

Jim

Posts: 1208 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dall85:
The first two episodes were interesting and fun to watch.

Agreed, but think I'llo not put it on the agenda for a weekly time user.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uwave:
FYI... For you cable viewing entertainment...

Discovery channel will air a new show about a A Baton Rouge La. Gunsmith tonight.

Schedule:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-sc....16332.26257.40187.2

I was not that all impressed.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

What's this "a bit more than a gunsmith" shit?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
The brass cannon was neat.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:

Keith

Stephanie is HOT! tu2

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:

What's this "a bit more than a gunsmith" shit?

DITTO that Westpac!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I watched the episode last night. I won't watch the next one. Roll Eyes

Stephanie is neither 'hot' nor likeable. She came off like a 'bridezilla'.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I watched the episode last night. I won't watch the next one.

+1
actually as I think about it over coffee she was just more of a B--ch. "Only GOD and I can tell dad what to do", give me a break.

If I walked in to have work done and saw that crew in the back I'd pick up my stuff and run like he!!.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
I watched the episode last night. I won't watch the next one. Roll Eyes

George

I already feel sorry for whatever unlucky SOB that dates her.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
I watched the episode last night. I won't watch the next one.

+1
actually as I think about it over coffee she was just more of a B--ch. "Only GOD and I can tell dad what to do", give me a break.

If I walked in to have work done and saw that crew in the back I'd pick up my stuff and run like he!!.

Nah she just needs someone to bend 'er over & give her something to bitch about. shocker

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:

Keith

Stephanie is HOT! tu2

Dad must think so. He couldn't keep his eye's off her ass as they walked from the shop to the office.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw it last night. I won't go out of my way to watch it again... boring.

I kind of like Howe & Howe, but these shows seem to focus too much on the personalities. They have to have some type of conflict to make them interesting. That is the part that gets old to me. American Chopper is a reality show gone bad to the extreme imo.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Boy was I wrong!!!

I was under the impression that he owned and operated a HUGE mil-spec production shop that did cutting edge weaponry work.

It looks like a SMALL shop with one old Bridgeport and a dremel tool...I wont watch again.

The crack I made about "a bit more than a gunsmith" wasn't a poke but as I said above I thought he was something else....
the build up to the show made me think he had a huge opperation!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing any machinery other than the Bridgeport. No lathe?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a couple of idiots in the back working for an idiot up front.

I never did see any gunsmiths.

I wouldn't let those tatooed bone heads change oil and filter in my truck.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry but this will make somebody mad...

There is no way to say this to make it not offend.

Phase converter and no 3-phase????
...armatures for sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sorry but this will make somebody mad...

There is no way to say this to make it not offend.

...armatures for sure.

WTF is this about? Are you saying that if a shop runs and RPC and does not have 3 phase coming in from a pole that it is not a real shop? Just what the fuck do you have at your place?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
WTF is this about? Are you saying that if a shop runs and RPC and does not have 3 phase coming in from a pole that it is not a real shop? Just what the fuck do you have at your place?

I'm with you on this. my lathe an' mill run on single phase. Can hardly make a chip. I'd been better off learning to run a file true.
On a serious note, I've seen rifles that print in the .100" range that were chambered on friggin Smithy combo setups. It's 99% operator.
If Ted was just baitin', I guess I bit hard.
Take care, Nick

Posts: 47 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Nope not baiting....3 phase is what we have and for the big stuff (CNC mills CNC edm) they have large floor transformers but the sinker edm's (3) knee mills (4) surface grinders (4) I.D.O.D. grinder and lathe, welders, wire edm, ect all run off a buss bar.

A shop doesn't need 3 phase this is true but for running a shop for profit 3 phase is what you use.

You run what you can get....thats the way it is.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
Just what the fuck do you have at your place?

Nice Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Did anyone else notice the eerie resemblance to more than a few Simpsons characters?

If I was that guy I'd sue for stealing my likeness to use as Homer. Not to mention the back shop guys.

The girl is what we called a six-pack beauty queen.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
A shop doesn't need 3 phase this is true but for running a shop for profit 3 phase is what you use.

Thank God mine is a non profit shop. BTW nice tag line!

quote:
Is it better to say nothing and have people think you’re crazy, or speak so everyone knows that you’re totally out of your mind?

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Living in Louisiana I'll tell you what REALLY pissed me off about the silenced scattergun part of the show. Louisiana is one of the most difficult states to get a suppessor permit.

The "customer" walks in off the street
Stephanie: Can I help you?
customer: I want a shotgun with a silencer.
Steph: let me get my dad.
Dad Yep I'll try to do it for $2500.00 +tax.

NOT ONE &%@ DAMN (EXCUSE MY FRENCH) WORD ABOUT HAVING TO BE CLEARED BU THE BATF AND FBI BEFORE THE WORK IS EVEN CONSIDERED!

The average john watching & anti gun type; (yes you can bet your ass they watch this stuff too)
now thanks to that jerk that you can just walk in & get a silenced weapon. When the buyer came in to pick up the gun the owned did in passing mention that there was about an hours worth of paper work to be done.

If you want to send Discovery any comments this is their email address.

comments@discovery.ca<comments@discovery.ca>;

================================================

This what I sent them.

Living in Louisiana I'll tell you what REALLY pissed me off about the silenced scattergun part of the Sons of Guns show last week. Living in Louisiana I can tell you that this is one of the most difficult states in which to get a suppressor permit.

NOT ONE WORK ABOUT HAVING TO BE CLEARED BU THE BATF AND FBI BEFORE THE WORK IS EVEN CONSIDERED!

The average uninformed person watching & anti gun type; (yes you can bet your ass they watch this stuff too)
now thanks to the owner that you can just walk in to a gun shop & get a silenced weapon. When the buyer came in to pick up the gun the owned did in passing mention that there was about an hours worth of paper work to be done.
The producers REALLY should research the subject matter BEFORE they air a program. It is exactly this type of blatent ommission that fuels the fires of contempt on both sides!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
This is the initial response I got from Discovery
Due to the large volume of emails that we receive,

the Discovery Programming department

may not be able to respond to your message personally.

However, all comments will be reviewed by our programming team.

We do take your comments into consideration,

when making future programming decisions.

For scheduling inquiries and programming highlights,

kindly refer to the following links:

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Living in Louisiana I'll tell you what REALLY pissed me off about the silenced scattergun part of the show. Louisiana is one of the most difficult states to get a suppessor permit.

NOT ONE &%@ DAMN (EXCUSE MY FRENCH) WORD ABOUT HAVING TO BE CLEARED BU THE BATF AND FBI BEFORE THE WORK IS EVEN CONSIDERED!

The average john watching & anti gun type; (yes you can bet your ass they watch this stuff too)
now thanks to that jerk that you can just walk in & get a silenced weapon. When the buyer came in to pick up the gun the owned did in passing mention that there was about an hours worth of paper work to be done.

If you want to send Discovery any comments this is their email address.

comments@discovery.ca<comments@discovery.ca>;

This what I sent them.

Living in Louisiana I'll tell you what REALLY pissed me off about the silenced scattergun part of the Sons of Guns show last week. Living in Louisiana I can tell you that this is one of the most difficult states in which to get a suppressor permit.

NOT ONE WORK ABOUT HAVING TO BE CLEARED BU THE BATF AND FBI BEFORE THE WORK IS EVEN CONSIDERED!

The average uninformed person watching & anti gun type; (yes you can bet your ass they watch this stuff too)
now thanks to the owner that you can just walk in to a gun shop & get a silenced weapon. When the buyer came in to pick up the gun the owned did in passing mention that there was about an hours worth of paper work to be done.
The producers REALLY should research the subject matter BEFORE they air a program. It is exactly this type of blatent ommission that fuels the fires of contempt on both sides!

IMO, the program did nothing to flatter the firearms community. I really think it did the exact opposite. Maybe that's exactly what the Discovery Channel wanted to do.

Does anyone know if Red Jacket Firearms actually exists?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know if Red Jacket Firearms actually exists?

They have a Website and price lists along with services. However it also says by appointment only.

http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"the nation's most unique weapons business"

Yeah, right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Couple of comments.

I have never seen anyone so glad to get a suppressed weaapon down to 145 decibels. However, this is well above the threshhold of pain, and well above any level where OSHA requires full time hearing protection and engineered controls. I think they said they started at 155 decibels. That was ridiculous. Normal conversation is around 55-60 dBa, and I would judge most suppressed 22's I have heard with subsonic loads are below this, probably around 40 dBa. Since each 3 dB is approximately doubling the sound, the suppressed shotgun was 2x10^30 louder than a supressed 22.

On the subject of phase converters, some shops simply do not have 3 phase available close enough for access. If you don't, a custom phase converter can be very efficient. There is a method for designing a convertor exactly matched to your motors characteristics. When I got my lathe, I didn't want to pay the price for a commercial convertor. I started the motor by spinning it by hand. Once up to spped, I measured the voltages and curret on each leg. These, along with the resistance measurements, allowed me to build a custom unit from a pile of old AC capacitors and contactors I had around. I assembled it in a wall mounted cutoff box with a built in switch. When running, the legs are voltage and current balanced within 3% of each other. I could go back and fine tune with the addition of some small parallel caps, but it's not worth the effort. Phase convertors can work well, but sending Stephanie to buy one at the supermarket was, as mentioned, simply a bogus crises. This is part of the formula for every reality show now, and if you know anything about the subject, they are generally silly and obvious.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:
Is it better to say nothing and have people think you’re crazy, or speak so everyone knows that you’re totally out of your mind?

Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut then.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What was the point of attaching a Saiga 12 to the bottom of the AR? Are there no more "Masterkeys"? Why not attach a readily available pump action?
Plus, did you notice how close the SWAT guy's hand was to the door during the breaching trial? You'd almost have to hold the weapon with your hand in front of the magazine. What about metal and wood fragments, or even shot bouncing back and piercing your hand?

Albatross.

Posts: 2497 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The SWAT guys reminded me of tacticalized versions of Keystone Cops.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same formula used in the "Top Shot" show on HX Channel they both suck.

Posts: 51 | Location: Buffalo WY | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
BTW the main problem with 3 phase is that it's LOUD.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing any machinery other than the Bridgeport. No lathe?

You don't need a lathe to slap together and AR platform rifle. Basic hand tools and the kitchen table will do.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut then.

Nope it ain't that. It just there are more then a few ways to get three phase in your shop.
A rotary phase converter is about the best emulation of perfect pole feed three phase. Now ted don't take this the wrong way but just because the electric company supplies it doesn't make it good. Power dips and spikes are fairly common. A RPC pretty much eliminates that as the power is stabilized in a manner of speaking that helps even out the dips and spikes. I'm not defending these knuckle heads but a RPC correctly sized and installed is nothing to scoff at. Did you know that for low amperage demands that you can use a small VFD to generate three phase?? Yep Single phase in three phase out.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
quote:
...armatures for sure.

I have several Phase converters ! 3 phase would have cost the price my shop to have it installed where I live in rural america ! so now I know all the machine work I do is inferior , below standards,a junk yard shop ! Thanks I am inlightened !

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote