THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Synthetic replacement stock for my Browning A-Bolt

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic replacement stock for my Browning A-Bolt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted
I have a Browning A-Bolt with an old wooden stock, that is way to short for me (L.O.P)..
I want to replace it with a synthetic stock..
What choices do I got?
I`ve found some from Bell&Carlson. My problem is that they have only a L.O.P = 13 1/2 "..
Anyone who knows of other options for me?
I thought I might buy som spacers to increase the L.O.P, but they`re a little bit expensive. Any other materials I might use.
Anyone who have painted synthetic stocks by themself..? After I`ve adjusted the L.O.P I thought I wanted to try to make a cool camouflage-pattern (and also make the spacers less visible)..

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a bit of a tough one:
Here is a link to a wweb page that links to all the major after market stock makers in the USA:
http://home.comcast.net/~americanfirearmpage/stocks.htm

One option is to get a factory Synthetic stock for the A-bolt. Unfortunately thouse are injected molded, so they get soft in hot weather and brittle in very cold weather. Also they don't take easily to being bedded or painted.

This link will take you to a good quality, low cost, pre inletted wood laminated stock that will fit your rifle:
http://www.boydboys.com/BrowseEbus/JRSbrowning.asp

If you seal the Boyds stock with a two part epoxy finish you can rough up the outside of the finish with some sandpaper and it will then take whatever camoflague paint you wish to use.

You can easily shape the Boyds stock to fit your body and your sensibilities exactly.
The nutmeg color pattern is not too ugly. You may decide to not paint over it.

Good luck with your project.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Lone Wolf Riflestocks. I had a "Summit" built a couple years back and it was exactly what was called for. Lightweight, strong and well done. I had them factory bed my .270 Win LH A-Bolt and it shoots sub MOA even with the light barrel. Turned the Browning into a very "handy" mountain rifle compared to the original 2x4 it came with. To check the strength and durability I slid down a scree slope on it suffering only character scratches. You should see the scope.
They offer any LOP within reason. It worked so well, I'm having them build the stock for a Montana Rifle action build up currently under construction.

Posts: 38 | Location: Front Range | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote