Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Mannlicher 7mm Mauser HELP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'll try and get some better pics of the Mannlicher but I'm not very good with this digital thing. The ivory is not very big, 40 and 45 lbs. Shot 2 years ago in the Matetsi in Zimbabwe. Rifle was a CZ550 in 416Rigby with 21"bbl Brockman laminate and 1.5 x 4.5 Swarovski. 410gr Woodleigh solid

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Here are acouple of more pics of the Siamese. They aren't much better. I have to take some lessons from someone on Photographing Guns.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
zimbabwe,
Thanks for the pictures, a very tastefully done rifle. Please tell us more about the hunt. Did you post a write up when you returned? if not here is an excellent opportunity Wink. Getting back to your Mannlicher, back in the 60's quite a few 45-70's were built on this action, how did you decide on the 30-40? (rim?) Take care and God bless you and yours.

cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The Siamese was made up of left over parts. The barrel is a premium Douglas M-14 barrel that was mischambered (notice the steps) the irons are takeoff Remingtons and the stock is a VERY plain piece of English that you can see the graft line on the butt. Made up into a really nice rifle and shoots a well as it looks. Feeds flawlessly. The trigger is a Timney (old one) and safelt is an old FN style which I really don't like but is cheap and easy to install. Bases are Weavers. Grip cap is also a takeoff metal cap. Sterling Davenport graciously checkered it for me with his usual flawless job. Actually have no idea who built it. I bought it unfired from a dealer friend and finished it. Don't care for the schnable in front of the front swivel but it's tastefully done. As to the Elephant it was shot in the Matetsi up along the Fuller Forrest boundary right at dusk. Used a CZ550 416Rigby with Brockman laminated stock. Barrel has been cut to 21",barrel band fron swivel,NECG masterpiece front ramp with Elevation adjustment and red fibre optic. 410gr Woodleigh solid. Heart/lungs at about 20meters. Ran about 40yds and stopped. Facing away I hit him with the second shot in right hindquarter,missed the bone. It is now ful dark and there are Elephants ALL around (the herd had about 60 in it)so we beat a retreat to the truchk and back to camp. Found about a mile away the next morning. It had tried to follow the herd. No damage except the hyena had chewed on the trunk a little. Spent the day recovering everything.I'm including a couple of pics of myself and the Ele and My PH friends Sabi 500Jeffery.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
zimbabwe,
Thanks for the information on the 30-40, and your hunt. The picture of the .500 posted great but your picture posted in minature and I can't make it out. As far as the Mannlicher is concerned I used to love to find the old conversions, and still have a few that are safe queens Wink. However they are getting hard to find lately. Your hunt sounds exciting, I can only imagine being surounded by Elephants, and in the dark as well!!! I had my first trip to SA last year and can't wait to go back. Unfortunately it will not be this year, but maybe 2007 will put me back in the thorns once again. Take care and God bless.

cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote